Thursday, June 12, 2008

Into the City... And out again

Today was another fabulous day.

My day started off waking up at 8:30, which is odd, because I've been sleeping in until about 10:30 at least lately. Won't question it, though. I was Up and About to see Jane off to school (Not Ana, though. Her school begins at 7:55. Hahaha. ;)) I ate a muffin for breakfast and got ready to go into the city.

I went with Barb's s dad on the train into NYC itself. The train ride took about an hour, and it was fine. I chatted with Jerry the entire way there. We talked about traveling, and Europe, and music, and a lot of other things. He is one of those classic Old Men who, when they get going, don't stop. I didn't interrupt, and let him speak. He's one of the most interesting men I've met, and yet so simple a person. The more he spoke, the more I realized how similar I was to him. We talked about art (We share the same taste in art and music. Except he likes classic rock and I don't really. And I like modern rap/pop and he doesn't) and he even stuck around while I spent about 40 minutes looking at yarn. He says it's comparable to him in a CD shop.

After we got into the city, we went to the Museum of Modern Art. It was a fabulous building, beautiful, and a great use of space and design. However, what was in it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. I find myself drawn more towards the Renaissance and Romantic periods when it comes to art than the modern stuff. I can appreciate it, but I don't understand it. Rather how I feel about books like the Red Badge of Courage and 1984. I can appreciate them for the books that they are, the great messages that they portray and the impact that they had on the masses... But they're not the books for me.

After we walked through one of the painting galleries, we had a light lunch in the cafe in the museum. I have to say that the turkey on rye sandwich that I ate was one of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten. It had the right spices, tomatoes, turkey, and bread combination to make it perfect. I had a latte as well, and then I went on my way out into the Wide World while Jerry stayed in MoMA because he wanted to see more of the exhibits. (I was all museumed out at this point).

I got lost (Of course) and finally made my way up to Columbus Circle. I thought about shopping 5th Avenue, but I haven't been there much and didn't really feel comfortable walking the area. I knew Columbus Circle from last year visiting NYC with Mom, so I headed that way. I had a smoothie in Whole Foods (I had to go to the WF, or I think my mother would disown me. ;) ) and then I went up into the shops above and spent money. I bought a movie or two in Borders and some makeup in Sephora, and by that time had pretty much exhausted most of my cash as well as energy. I picked up a copy of Interweave Knits in Borders as well, and headed outside to sit by the Columbus statue and wait for Jerry to arrive. (We'd agreed to meet at 4 at the statue, because it was pretty central to where he and I were.) We then made our way into SoHo to a yarn store, Purl, that I had been tipped off about by Staci at the Knitting Nest last Monday at Knit Night. It was the world's most tiny little shop, but it was lovely. As I said earlier, Jerry stuck around and waited for me to make my selections. After a time, I did and I paid for the yarn and left.

We made our way back to the house and had a lovely night relaxing and laughing and eating the remainder of the cakes left over from last night. :)

And I was a good house guest and offered to help at every opportunity. (See, Mother?)

I keep spelling things wrong at this point, and I'm exhausted. So I'm going to bed now!!

No comments: