Wednesday, June 18, 2008

College Orientation Day 1

I'm going to introduce yall to a sort of diary of mine. Two years ago, when I went to Washington DC for 10 days with a youth leadership program, what I did to keep sane amongst the constant movement of the program was keep a sort of journal. I would whip it out and write down what I'd done, what my thoughts were, and whatever else came to mind at the time. I recorded the date and time at the top of each page and, looking back, I think that was the best thing I've ever really done. I recorded both my thoughts and my actions, and I cherish that diary that I kept all summer.

Well, it turns out that Freshman Orientation at UTSA is quite the same. A lot of movement, and a lot of thought going on in my head. So, while I have found an internet connection that totally doesn't suck, I'm going to type up my entries from yesterday.

-----

6/17/08
5:29 pm

Have to leave for the next round of activities in five minutes. Have been kept going since 8:30 this morning, with no free time (except for about half an hour before lunch… at 2:30.) Skipping dinner at the moment because I just can’t eat anything real right now… munching on popcorn, though. J I mean, it’s 5:30, I can’t eat 3 hours later. In any case, I’m suffering from Too Many People syndrome again. I’ve been in close proximity to many strangers for the entire day, and I’m ready to lose myself in an internet connection (which I can’t seem to make. So that opportunity is out the window) or a book (I haven’t got time to really read right now). All day they’ve been talking to us about placement tests, courses that you’ll take, things you’ll deal with, the police and counseling system… All of which I know that I’ll find useful in a few months, but that’s just it. It’s a few months away. Now I have to leave for a Team Huddle for Group A at 5:35.

10:01 pm
Turns out the plans they had for us wasn't so bad. A tour around the campus and rec center time! I played oodles of volleyball and had a wonderful time. And at the very end of the game (well, we weren't keeping score) I got my overhand serve!! I’d been doing really well with my underhand serve and when it stopped being competitive, I tried my overhand a few times. Failed up until the end. I haven’t got much to complain about, but some people are real bitches here. There’s one gay guy who is in my small(ish) group (of 30 people) who can’t seem to find the joy in anything. He just talks about how much he wants to get away from here and go shopping or clubbing. My roommates are great girls. Different enough from me to make me feel like I’m not quite part of things, but we share enough of the same opinions (as well as situation) that I can’t see myself disliking them. Right now I’m waiting for one of them (Leah…?) to get out of the shower so I can hop in an de-grunge myself.

6/18/08
12:20 AM
In bed at the moment. I just chatted with Leah and Lauren for about an hour and a half. Well, they mostly talked and I mostly listened. It turns out that I might be a good listener about other people’s stories better than I am at adding my own input. Weird, how you learn these things. Internet not working… Very frustrating. Am going to bring laptop to breakfast tomorrow morning (I’ll hit breakfast early, I think, and come back here and finish getting ready. That strategy worked at NYLC.) I heard that the internet connection right outside of the Roadrunner CafĂ© has a great internet connection. Perhaps I’ll bring my computer along with me tomorrow anyway. I have got my mom’s backpack with me. Oh, and that other bag in my car! I might get that one instead. Have to get to bed now. It’s 12:30 and as it is, I’ll only get 5 hours of sleep.

No comments: