Wednesday, June 18, 2008

College Orientation Day 2

So I know that I posted day 1 this morning, but in any case here is the second day.

-----

7:53 AM

Woke up at 6 and hit snooze for an entire hour. Tee hee hee. I only have a few moments to write, and as nothing has really happened yet today, that’s not a problem. I finally managed an internet connection (civilization! Yes!) and I uploaded to blogger my journal entries from yesterday. This morning started off smoothly. I ate breakfast (though I never do. I can’t eat right after I wake up. Just not hungry. Anyway, so I forced down some hashbrowns, bacon, and fruit and came out here to find my internet connection. (yay!) They keep warning us that today is going to be a very long, long day. Yesterday was long too… I suppose I better brace myself.

9:49 AM
Just finished a meeting about signing up for classes and a requirement for what classes the CAP program requires. It was good and informative… but man. All I can think about is how much my arms hurt! It turns out that playing volleyball for the first time without stretching or warming up or whatever is a bad idea. My shoulders are so tense you would think the muscles were replaced with rocks and I can’t stretch out my arms without cringing. Ow.

4:43 PM
The day isn’t yet done, and I am already ready to go to bed! I’m not suffering from Too Many People syndrome today, I even sat down and chatted with some of the girls I played volleyball with last night. I bought a frappaccino and they asked me if I wanted to sit and hang out for a bit. We attended a class (well, a neurobiologist lectured about the brain retains memories for an hour) and then we had a dance off (which was hilarious) and then watched a slide show and they talked… more.

6:25 PM
I got distracted by my roommates, who sucked me into a(nother) conversation about meal plans and housing. We ended up doing calculations to figure out what the best meal plan is, and eventually decided on one. And then we gossiped about leaders and other people here… because that’s what teenage girls do, of course. Found a really nice girl who I’ve been chatting with. She’s also into music and theater, and she’s a big-time soprano girl who has had voice lessons and everything. She’s got me beat, but we share a lot of the same interests. Perhaps I will actually have a friend here in the fall.

9:16 PM
Okay, so I have to take back what I said about the gay guy. He still bitches and moans about things a lot, but he’s actually a really cool guy to talk to. The evening was spent in one last, final (ahhh…) advisory lecture and right now there is a pool party going on outside. It looks kind of fun (ish) but I’m not sure that I’m going to go and spend a lot of time there. Tomorrow we have to meet with an academic advisor. I know that I’ll go, but I am scheduled at 3 pm.

10:16 PM
Okay, so I keep getting off track. I just moved outside into the courtyard of Chaparral, which is where the housing for the orientation is being held… which is also the only spot I get internet access at. No complaints. It’s the perfect night tonight. It’s about 85 degrees outside, not humid, the sun’s long set, and I am not holed up in my room. I’ve been trying to figure out how to occupy my day tomorrow until 3. I think that I’ll probably start at 9 or so (this depends on whether they will be serving breakfast until then. I have no idea… Actually, I just remembered. I don’t have to restrict myself to staying on campus. Doi.) So yeah. 9 sounds good. Then I think I will make my way leisurely around the campus, perhaps purchase a few things from the bookstore on campus, grab some starbucks on the wonderfully fully-functioning location on campus (I can hear the Hallelujah chorus. Can you?) And then depending on what I feel like, I’ll head on over to Yarnivore, my new LYS in San Antonio. I’ve been reading reviews and stuff online, and everyone’s given the store 5 stars and has had lovely things to say about it. Also, it’s about 10 minutes away from the campus. So perhaps I’ll yarn for a while, eat lunch at the stores across the street (Or back on campus. I’m not picky.) and then I’ll head on over to my meeting, register for classes, and then be on my merry way. I won’t have to get out of the dorm room until 6:30 at the latest (and then they start to fine us) so I’ll have plenty of time to put things back into my car in a leisurely fashion that won’t KILL my arms. Have I mentioned yet how much my arms hurt from volleyball yet today? I’m going to mention it again. I can’t stretch or fully extend my arms without PAIN. I complain, but… well, I’m thrilled, really. I used to love playing volleyball. It was so much fun. I was good, too. Not Club kind of good, but I really enjoyed it. And I had a killer overhand serve. I kind of feel like I’m doing my mom proud when I play. I know she used to play… and I’ve never been what she expected. She was a jock in high school… I was the theater geek. Total opposites. I don’t want to ramble on and on about the differences between my mom and I, but I guess what I’m saying is that I feel like I’m connecting with her on an entirely different level when I play a sport. I’m totally going to do intramural volleyball in the fall. It will rock, and I know it. And while I work on that overhand, I have a pretty badass underhand. Well, I think I’m going to check my email a last time, maybe watch a little youtube, make an appearance at the pool party, and then go into my room.

1 comment:

MSbeckey said...

Sounds like you had a great time at orientation. (How could it be bad when you found 2 Starbucks?!) And a new LYS already! Congrats on the schedule, too. You are going to have so much fun in the fall!