Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Yarning I will go!

A Yarning I did go!

I went down to the wonderful yarn shop that is (sort of) downtown here and bought some yarn today. I bought some lovely yarn for some mittens (Or gloves, depending on what I feel like) and it's lovely. It's Alpaca silk and it's pretty purple and did I mention that it's lovely? It's so soft! Right above it on the shelf is even more alpaca silk that is called Royal alpaca, which is so wonderful they have to price it $30 more than the skeins that I bought. Apparently once in a blue moon the conditions are just right that the alpaca fur is just that much softer. I stood there petting it for a while just to say that I could touch it. But the stuff that I ended up buying was $10 (nicely priced, in my opinion, for possibly the most wonderful substance in the entire world.) I petted a lot of yarn today. And that made me happy. This particular yarn shop is like a knitters heaven; an oasis of knitterly and wooly goodness. You walk in and just sigh in contentment, because the building it's in is small and cozy and homely, and it's quite simply full to the brim with yarn. Every type of yarn you could ever want from cotton, to wool, to alpaca, to feathery fun, to the strange golden fuzzy stuff, to sock yarn, to soft yarn that is actually labeled "Touch Me" (I did.) and down to the unidentifiable stuff that is just so pretty.

It's one of those places that, no matter how many times you visit, you still feel like it's your first time. It makes me happy.

From my happy place, I went to Michael's craft store to buy (guess what!) more yarn. Except that this time it's for the bamboo hats for my friends (which I'm getting paid for!!!) and for another small splurge, some nice hat yarn that's pretty. (I have the pink/green one that's shown on the side. I figured it was nice for the impending spring.)

In any case, I'm gushing about yarn and I'm going to go read for a bit. I bought Gena Showalter's new book and it came on Christmas Eve, and I'm busy reading it now. So far, it's good. No real opinion yet... only 85 pages into it.

Night, all!

No comments: