Thursday, September 11, 2008

Butterflies

I almost didn't write this blog.

It's true. I really didn't want to blog about September 11th, 2001. Everyone does it, everyone remembers, everyone tells their story.

But then I read Barb's Post for today, and suddenly I realized that it's not about just verbally repeating the horrors of the past, reliving through it every year. It's about continually moving forward. Isn't it incredible that we've made it to this year? The dynamic has changed so much in the last seven years... so much that we aren't necessarily forgetting it, but taking on this attitude of rolling our eyes when we walk through the quad and see students holding signs that say 'Remember'. Because that's what I saw. That's what I did. Suddenly, I don't feel so cool.

Today when I walked through the parking lot to my apartment, I was swarmed by these butterflies that are about the size of a quarter. They duck and swirl and fly together yet apart, never sticking to the same route. They have a little delicate existence that is just a wonder. When I see the butterflies, I smile.

Isn't it incredible that even in this world full of hate and war, there is always something beautiful?

1 comment:

Barb Matijevich said...

I have the same reaction that you had to the butterflies today when I look at my kids. Aren't they miraculous and perfect in this imperfect world?

You, too, by the way.