Saturday, March 22, 2008

To Dye for.... Part 1

Dumb blogger won't let me post more than a certain amount of photos in one blog post. So this post will be in 2 (or three?) parts.

--------

Okay, so yesterday I didn't have school. So I decided to take the day and make it useful. So I got up around 10:30 and moseyed on downstairs to get me a glass of milk and start figuring this thing out. So here's what I started out with: a naturally colored hank of The Unique Sheep's Sushi Socks, which I absolutely love. And 3 dye colors: (a very dark) Green, Blue, and Turquoise.


So I was looking at this, and going, "Hmm... I think I want a longer hank, I can spread the yarn out a lot more that way and get more of a pattern into it."


Famous last words?


Most likely.


I stuck two chairs together and started winding.


Um... That went a little-lot awry.


I, frustrated, left to go meet a friend for lunch.


When I came back, the Yarn Fairy hadn't come to visit and finish the job for me, so I gritted my teeth and started again. Except this time, I added another chair to the mix and that actually helped. I ended up winding the rest into a ball and then walked around the original two chairs. Sounds complicated, but in reality, it's just dizzying. I walked in circles for a good 10 minutes.


So after that, I tied the yarn together in several places and stuck it into a bowl with warm water and vinegar and turned on the TLC for half an hour.


No comments: