Friday, March 14, 2008

Hop on the Bandwagon

Okay, so me being me, I'm always a little late to hop onto the bandwagon. "The Bandwagon" here can represent just about anything. I'm never first in line (although I'm never late) and I'm always wary about stuff until absolutely everyone is raving about it.

The most recent bandwagon I'm hopping on is music-related. The Nine Inch Nails.

I read a book once (oh if I had a nickle for every time I said that...) where the main character would blare Nine Inch Nails from their speakers. And I dunno, that sparked my curiosity. And then I saw a trailer for the movie 300 that had one of their songs and loved it. So I'm downloading their most recent album.

Now, I know what you're saying. You're looking at me through your little computer window and going "STEFANIE! DOWNLOADING MUSIC IS ILLEGAL! SHAME ON YOU!!"

But know what? The strangest thing occurred while I was looking at the webpage:

"Hello from Nine Inch Nails... Now that we're no longer constrained by a record label, we've decided to personally upload Ghosts I, ...to various torrent sites, because we believe BitTorrent is a revolutionary digital distribution method, and we believe in finding ways to utilize new technologies instead of fighting them. We encourage you to share the music of Ghosts I with your friends, post it on your website, play it on your podcast, use it for video projects, etc. It's licensed for all non-commercial use under Creative Commons."

Huh. I have permission to download, rip, share, and burn this for all of my friends.

Well cool.

Thanks, Nine Inch Nails. I will certainly do so.

Or at least stick it in my car and share it with the world through my very loud speakers that way.

Oh, and in other music news, I learned that the artist Duncan Sheik and I share the same birthday. I knew there was something to that guy... ;)

No comments: