Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Taking a break! So sue me.

I'm such a bad procrastinator.

People see me as The Older Sister, who is Smart and who Sets The Bar.

Sure, I set the bar. Most of the time I can't even reach the bar, let alone raise it. And I know this sounds all Older-Child angsty, but come on. We have to rough it out, as the older sibling. We go through everything first, and we have to be a role model to anyone who has the luck to follow us. (good luck, bad luck. Beats me.)

Anyway, standards. Procrastination. Oh yeah.

In English class we're doing an interesting project. My teacher gave us a long list of British literature which spans the Romantic period all the way up to last year. This list consists of about 250-300 books. We all selected 5 books which we would be interested in reading, researching, and writing a paper on. Based on which books we chose, the teacher put us into groups of 2 or 3 people to discuss the book.

I just so happen to be reading Atonement, by Ian McEwan.

No, I haven't seen the movie. Which turns out to be a pretty good move on my part. Because I have a feeling it would have ruined a lot. So when I do see the movie, I hope it is as good as the book.

Anyway, I'm a procrastinator. We are independently supposed to read 1/5 of the book every week. This turns out to be about 70 pages for this particular version of the book. (It has the actors from the movie that's out in theaters right now... Keira Knightly and Whatshisface... He played Tumnus in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe...)

So I mean, I'm a senior. We aren't being quizzed on this every week. I'm reading a significantly more fluffy and easy read right now (All American Girl by Meg Cabot. See what I mean by fluff? It's so easy to read. Plus, I mean, Meg Cabot. Not exactly difficult. She also wrote the Princess Diaries, which I read a few, but after a while they got kinda dull and repetitive.) So what do I do? I put it off, I put if off, I put it off. Which means that I am a smidge behind on reading and I now have to read 2/5 of the book tonight. I've read about 80 pages right now, which is 60 short of my goal.

I like the book. I do. (I swear, stop looking at me like that) but it's not exactly the most drawing story and the most interesting writing style for my particular preference. I mean, Kudos to McEwan and all for being all successful and Kudos to him for sticking with his dream, even though people probably stood in his way of his dream but come on.

Has the man ever heard of dialogue?

You know, it's the action. It's the driving force of literature? No? Not ringing a bell? Well I'll be darned. The man hasn't heard of dialogue.

Seriously. I've gone about 20 pages without so much as seeing a quotation mark. I've never realized how much I love dialogue until now. I do. I thrive on the moving force of dialogue. It's wondrous. It's easy (for me) because I apparently have a natural talent of conveying a story through speech. With description I need some help. I think I'm a little ADD when it comes to descriptive writing.

Anyway, I have to get back to reading that book. I'll keep yall posted.

No comments: