Friday, January 11, 2008

Lots of babysitting

I'm babysitting right now. I've been doing a lot of babysitting lately. Tonight was... interesting, to say the least. There's one boy, and then two other ones. They were loud and as difficult as little boys tend to be... but finally things are quiet. I can hear the two older boys whispering, but I've learned that what you do is walk in, threaten to separate, leave alone, and then wait for them to fall asleep. Oh yeah, threatening doesn't work at all but at least they know that there's a chance and they go to sleep at some point.

So as exciting as my babysitting career is, I'm sure there is something else to blog about.

No, not really.

I... um... started to knit another hat. And if I wanted to, I could probably finish it tonight before I leave. I don't know if I will or not. It depends on whether there is anything interesting on YouTube or online.

Speaking of things online, I read another piece of FanFiction that I remember really enjoying when I first got into the whole FFnet scene. (It was right as I was taking finals during seventh grade... so... erhm... 5 or 6 years ago.

Oh my God, 5 or 6 years.

It's a long piece of work, in the Lord of the Rings category, and written by a girl who I believe is 19 now (or so says her profile) and so she was... 14 or 15 when writing this story. I put the whole story (all 62 chapters) on my phone (I have microsoft word on my phone!) and read it all last week.

I kinda realized something.

What I thought was a brilliantly written story with excellent plot twists and a great and original plot, turned out to be only a excellent and original plot. The writing itself kinda sucked. I found errors that the Editor in me cringed at every time. Not to mention that the Elvish that she used wasn't Tolkien's elvish. But to her credit, it was consistent and it was right on the dot.

While I was reading that story I realized how far as a writer and a reader I have come since I started writing. It's a really good feeling. I like it. I might just keep it up.

Anyway, it's time to go check on the boys again and make sure they're going to bed.

1 comment:

Gena Showalter said...

(I didn't know how else to contact you, I'm sorry!)

Feel free to email me any typos you found so I can make sure they get fixed. Though multiple people read and check the book before publication, some of those little bastards still manage to make it past us all. :)