Monday, September 17, 2007

Unfair

Life is unfair and I understand that...

But you know when you have those days that just aren't fair and all of that unfairness seems to be directed right at you?

I left school early because I felt, to put it plainly, like shit. I didn't want to be there and I didn't want to even smile at people. I was just not happy. I don't feel much better right now to tell the truth, but I knitted a bit and I took a (very short) nap and I watched Pride and Prejudice (which I LOVE.) so I feel, in my mind, a little better.

But what hurt me most was my friend this morning. And it's not like this is a big deal, but over a few years of her doing this, it's starting to bother me more. I found this new band called Breaking Benjamin this weekend, who I believe are really good. They have a sound that I like and are a genre that I can appreciate. And my friend has a dog named Benjamin who she really doesn't like. So I went to school and said to her "Hey! I found this band called Breaking Benjamin and they're really good", thinking that we could have a good laugh at the irony of the names, and she just went "Oh I hate them! It sounds like he's constantly trying to swallow his own fist!" and she went on trashing the band. She's one of those people who is really open to a lot of stuff, but when it comes to music she shuts people down.

I guess it's not a big deal. But today, it just bothers me that she, who preaches to be really open to new and sometimes weird stuff, will just shut me down so quickly.

1 comment:

Barb Matijevich said...

I totally get that. And it's not that her opinion is different than yours, it's the way she doesn't even allow you to talk about it. I wonder what it is that makes her respond that way? Have you ever asked her? Because sometimes people respond this way about a particular subject because they feel like it's their territory and they want everyone to know it. And sometimes it's because someone else makes them feel stupid about their opinions and so they pass that along. But *I* say that if you can talk about it with her non-confrontationally using all the "when you _______, I feel_____" speak, you might be able to save a friendship. And we all know that I'M always RIGHT!