Thursday, August 23, 2007

HAH. I did it.

So I'm going to admit something a teensy-weensy bit embarrassing.

I failed a lot of English last year.

Not because I couldn't handle the material, but because in that class I had a REALLY BAD case of senioritis a good portion of the year. I'm an English geek. An English nerdfighter, if you will. But I'm sorry. Huck Finn and the Scarlet Letter aren't the most exciting books to read. Sure, they are good books, but at age 16? You seriously can't expect me to read, comprehend, care, AND write an essay about it. And last year's English class was about Rhetoric. It's great and all, but to be honest, I stand with Sophocles on this one.

But at least for today, I've broken that barrier and have OFFICIALLY READ WHAT I'M SUPPOSED TO READ ON TIME. (ish.) I just read the 100 pages (of our summer reading book which was, well, supposed to be summer reading,) that we're being quizzed over tomorrow.

And I can't seem to decide whether I like the book or not.

The book is called Never Let Me Go by Katzuo Ishiguro and it's almost like it's a reflection of this one woman's life from when she was in school. Almost as if you're sipping coffee together and she's telling you her life story. (but she's got an ongoing monologue thing going...) The entire book, she'll be talking about one subject but then that will remind her of something else and she'll go off on that tangent for a while, realize that she got distracted, and then go back to the original subject.

At this point, I would shrug.

I've heard a bunch of people in my class say things from "OMIGOD that book was SOOOO boringg!" to "It was a quick read." and then to "I don't get it."

Well, I think I like the book...

No comments: