Thursday, May 29, 2008

On Dentists and Fast Food

I went to the dentist's this afternoon. The dentist's office is not one of my favorite places to be. It's not that I am afraid, or that I feel the urge to dash madly out of said dentist's office when the tools come out... I just really don't like being there. I have many other things I would rather be doing than sitting in the chair having my mouth prodded and my teeth scraped. It's uncomfortable, it's unpleasant, and I really would rather never go to the dentist's.

That said, the dentist who cleaned my teeth today was very impressed with the fact that I had five wisdom teeth. She looked at my xray and said that it was something that she would expect to see in a textbook, and she'd never met anyone with more than four wisdom teeth. And then she shook my hand, and that was a little bit weird.

As I was sitting in the uncomfortable chair, I realized something, though. Something that I'm not sure why I get, but I think I have a theory.

Every time I go to the dentists office, I crave fast food. McDonald's, Chic Fil A, Burger King, whatever happens to fall into my sight first.

I'm not sure why that is, but here is my theory: When I was little, when I went to the pediatrition, I would beg mom to take Duncan and I to TCBY. The reason for this is that there is a TCBY in relatively close proximity to the pediatrition's office, and I must have gone there once or twice after a visit.

I used to go to an optomitrist's office where, when he dialated your eyes and you had to wait for them to fully dialate, he would give you a coupon to go get a cookie at the cookie place around the corner.

I suppose it makes sense that at the dentist's office, I would crave another form of unhealthiness.

No comments: