Thursday, July 9, 2009

The One-Armed Wonder

This morning while Emma was not sleeping (very strange baby - completely skipped her morning nap today!) I was looking at my knitting bag and really considering whether my Tuesday (!!!!) deadline was too ridiculous, and whether I had waaaay overestimated myself and my speedy knitting abilities with it. I had already worked two inches of the arm, and was beginning to think that, despite the fact that the arm does decrease from 96 to 42 stitches, it was going to be more work than I had expected. I dunno why I assumed that the arms would be less knitting, but it does appear that way, right?


Well, I guess the arm is less knitting, because where it took me 20+ hours to knit each body piece, it only took me 5 1/2 to knit a sleeve.

I think I might have done something wrong with the decreases, but it doesn't seem to have been a real issue. Instead of having a 22" sleeve, I have a 24" sleeve, and I prefer my sleeves long anyway... I enjoy cuddly hands. And plus, in the spirit of the Weasley Sweater, I think that overlong sleeves would TOTALLY be something that Mrs Weasley would do.

Things remaining: Other sleeve, neck, letter, and seaming.

Things are looking up. If I finish the sleeve by tomorrow (and maybe the neck too?) I can go into the yarn store and get a quick lesson on the duplicate stitch and seaming on Saturday and have the thing definitely done by Tuesday.

I suppose this means I should get all of my anger out at the sweater tomorrow morning. At least I have Emma to cheer me up.

(I do love that picture...)

No comments: