Thursday, January 8, 2009

Bulletin Board of Memories

So I threatened, and now I am making good on that threat! Here is a tour of my bulletin board as I declutter and relive a few memories.

Here you have it! Cluttered and loved bulletin board. Product of 12 years (give or take - I can't remember exactly how long I've had the board) of "If I put this down on my desk, I'll never find it again" (For the record, I cleaned my desk. At this exact moment, if I happened to put something down on my desk it wouldn't get eaten by other cannibalistic papers.)


I think the oldest thing on the board, is my Angel Catcher, which for years was tacked above my bed. It was given to me by one of the first nannies I had here in Austin, Tammy. I am particularly fond of it, because I thought that catching angels while you slept was much cooler than catching dreams. It migrated to the board only recently when I was decluttering my walls.


Next oldest, by my reckoning, is this little shiny wooden heart... thing. It was given to me by my friend Kelsey, probably when I was in first or second grade. I don't know why I've kept it, but it's been in my room for well over ten years, for most of that on top of the bulletin board.


Moving forward in time, we have Foxtrot comics from when the Return of the King was out in theaters. I don't know if you knew this, but I'm a bit of a Lord of the Rings nerd. ;)


Speaking of Lord of the Rings, here are some notes I wrote up about character development in one of my fanfictions from ages past. It sounds dorky to plot out a fanfiction, but a lot of effort goes into a good one, I assure you.


Here is a note that I will likely never get rid of. It's a note from my seventh grade Language Arts teacher, Mrs. Crouch, who even now when I see her asks me how my writing is going. When I write a book, it'll be dedicated to her, and she's first in line for a signed copy. She has always told me that she'll "See me at Barnes and Noble" when I am a famous author and signing books. I don't know if she knows how much that still means to me, even four and a half years after she wrote the note.


Next we have ACL wristbands...

A Christmas Lottery ticket where I won $1. (Santa always brings us lottery tickets in our stockings! I love that tradition. A few years ago I won something like $50!)


Here's a Blazer Laser Tag scorecard from when I ranked NUMBER 1. I seem to remember hat Duncan promptly kicked my arse in the next round, but I WAS NUMBER ONE for at least a good fifteen minutes.


Here we have some iron beads from my days of babysitting the Cooper gals. I think Jane made the one on the left for me in my first week of working there. (I found another one later in the declutter, but I didn't photograph it.)


Junior Prom professional pictures were also in the lot. (I didn't have a date, but my friend Josh was volunteering to pose with as many girls without dates as possible that night, so in the photographs I at least had a date. ;) )


Mini sock yarn swatches and mini socks!

A note from the stage manager on the opening night of Honk. (My character's name was Lowbutt! That was my favorite role I've ever played.)


There is also a $2 that I found in a book I bought at Half Price Books. (It's almost as if I didn't pay!)


And here we have the (mostly) empty bulletin board! After I took the picture, I stuck a few things back on like really nice thank you cards and the angel catcher... stuff that I can't bear to get rid of



Now that I'm really getting down into the layers of stuff, I'm realizing that this cleanup is really good for the soul. I'm saying goodbye to things, but they were stuff that I probably should have said goodbye to a lot sooner.

Next up for declutterment: SHOES (and my closet). I think I'm going to find a bag to put donateable shoes (and clothes) in, because there are shoes in my closet that I haven't touched for years, and would probably be happier on a different foot.

Allergy update... it sucks today. Last night, I didn't sleep very well (or very long) and I had to wake up early to let Mike's dog out, so I took a nap ( - Ahem, "rejouvenated my creative juices and problem solving skills" - ) on the couch this morning. I think this'll be a long day though... I'm not quite as miserable as the other day, but it's pretty bad. On the flip side, I'm going over to Dad's tonight to help cook Indian food!

No comments: