Sunday, January 11, 2009

Ahh, it's good to be back

Phew! I am back in San Antonio, got here around 5 last night, and I have had quite a busy day. Abby and I went out for a late dinner last night to Chili's (Apparently they're open to midnight on Saturdays, which was a pleasant surprise to me as Abby only arrived around 10ish last night, and by the time she got home I was STARVING.)

Before the long break, Abby and I went to great lengths to eat all of the food that was perishable (well, perishable in an immediate sense: milk, yogurt, meat, eggs, etc.) and we were greeted this morning with a nearly empty cupboard and refrigerator. We got to an "early start" (11 AM...) shopping at Target, HEB, and Costco, then to the campus bookstore to pick up books, and then to Walmart to finish up. We actually did really well both with food choices and budget. We probably spent around $150-200 today, but bought a whole lot more than we had on our list. Our kitchen is now fully stocked with canned fruits, milk, cereal, apple juice, coffee, macaroni, frozen meats, and a few delicious frozen meals that have become favorites over the last few months... among other things, of course. We both have new outlooks on the year (as far as eating goes) and are both (moderately) excited for the new semester's classes to begin.

Personally? I'm pumped. I love being in class and learning new things (I am less fond of working, though. Don't think I'm too weird! ;) ) and know where and when all my classes are, so tomorrow when the day dawns I will be ready to attend my classes.

Something that Abby and I realized over the last semester is that if the fruit is out on the counter, it is so much more likely to get eaten. If it sits in the fridge... it goes bad and gets wasted. So we shopped around Marshalls to see if they had a cute fruit bowl... and found the perfect bowl! Our kitchen has a yellow theme (as much as a kitchen can when you can't paint the walls and have ugly chairs!) and we have a cute oven mitt that has a rooster on it. Well, Abby get's the Eagle Eye award of the day and found an adorable fruit bowl that is yellow AND has a rooster!! We bought some cherries at HEB this morning and stuck them in the fruit bowl, and half of them have disappeared already.

Enough for today, I'm going to sit on my (ugly) couch and watch my (lovely) new TV before I go to bed!

No comments: