Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A little bit of Edinburgh

(Before I indulge you all with lovely views of Scotland, I would like to correct a typo of mine from yesterday. The plane was not going at 58 mph. It was going decidedly faster. Multiply that last number by 10, and you got it.)

-----


Today was lovely. I slept late (Thank you, cousin Cathy) and she took me a mile or so up the road to the Scottish National Galleries, and then walked home with Casper. I happily wandered around for about two hours and then walked home. Here, I would like to point out that I found the way back (which was not in any way a direct route. Lots of right and left turns, I assure you.) without getting lost once. Here I am, queen of being Lost, and I don't live up to my title.


While walking around, I happened upon my first bagpiper. I can't really understand while people don't like the music that a bagpipe makes. It's beautiful and haunting. I sat at the top of a three-tiered something and listened to him play for a good half hour... Being a tourist with nothing pressing time is lovely.


And then I wandered into the gardens and sat on the grass for a while.


And then I gazed upon a few other structures and statues for a while. Look at the castle. It looks like it just melts into the rocks below.
(And this is the memorial to Sir Walter Scot)

And lastly, I want you to view something not very historical, not very interesting, frankly. When I was in the tube in London, going from Waterloo station over to Kings Cross station (looked for Harry Potter at platform 9 3/4... But I didn't find him.) Look at the trains. They're so nice.

Oh, and lastly a message to Kerry-Lynn. I haven't yet kissed anyone on this trip. Thank you for your advice not to kiss too many strangers. It's much appreciated and being held close in my mind.

No comments: