Friday, July 4, 2008

Real Time

Okay, so in Real Time, this blog is taking a while. A long while. I'm uploading the rest of my pictures right now (I will send out links later tonight) and I'm checking emails and I'm waiting to take a shower...


So in the Not as Real Time that it is taking you to read the blog, imagine that it's a lot longer for me.

Alright.

So while I'm waiting for the pictures to upload to photobucket, I will tell you a few interesting facts I've learned while I've been here.

1) I've been keeping a journal for the summer (that's not the blog. Gasp!!) and the pen that I have every intention of using for the whole summer is one of those pens that likes to leave ink all over your hands. So I've had permanent black spots on the tips of my thumb and middle finger.
2) I've developed this habit of sucking on my tongue while I'm thinking or waiting. The result of this is that I drink a lot more water (or whatever I have closest to me. I'm not picky.) because my mouth is dry a lot.

3) I really like toast. The bread and butter and preserves they have over here are all just so much better. I never eat toast in the States.

4) Tea tastes a lot better with cream and sugar here than it does in the States.

5) I pick up accents really easily. I've started to pick up the Scottish accent (but have had no real chance to test it.) And when I go back to England, I'll start talking with a British accent again.

Alright, enough of that, the pictures have finally uploaded.

So yesterday Cathy took me to the shore here, to walk all around and see the Firth of Forth in the distance. It was beautiful, and I was quite awestruck to be honest. As we got there, Cathy grumbled about how I wouldn't be able to see anything good because of the fog (the Scottish call it the 'harr')

but as we walked the harr (tee hee hee) lifted and I was able to see everything that Cathy described.



I stuck my fingers into the North Sea. (And it was freezing, of course) And as I stuck my fingers in the tide started to come in so quickly. I took a video of it... which I won't upload here (because it takes so long) but take it from me, had I been standing there any longer, I would have been up to my knees within 5 minutes.


Aww look. A picture of Cathy and Casper.
And (GASP.) a picture of ME.





Today, I went to the Elephant House Cafe.


This probably means nothing to you muggles (Hint.) but it is the cafe where JK Rowling wrote a large part of Harry Potter. I sat in and had a latte and a yummy toffee snack. I don't think JKR rubbed off on the Cafe, because I was struck with no creative genius while I sat there. However, I was stuck with a caffeine rush from the coffee. ;)

From there, I went into the National Museum of Scotland. The most thrilling part of this was that it was free (!!!) and that I got to pet (with my eyes) a lot of old things.

I do have a certain weakness for old things. And sharp things. And shiny things.

Below are two claymores (on either side of the monstrous one) and the one in the middle was a decorative claymore. One of the museum workers tried to convince me that Scots used to be twelves feet tall after I took this picture.

This is a virginal. Sort of like the mother of a harpsichord, and then an great grandmother to the piano.

This is a lovely necklace that was a gift from Mary Queen of Scots to Somebody Else Dead and Famous. I hope you don't mind, Mom. I charged it to your credit card.


No comments: