Thursday, July 17, 2008

Train station numero 10

Okay. So this blog is coming from my phone! I am sitting in a train station for the tenth time (twice at Haslemere, twice at Waterloo, twice at King's Cross, twice at Waverly, once at Krakow, and now once at Berlin.) I took an overnight train to Berlin from Krakow. Just to give yall a good idea of how long I was in that train, I was in that cabin for two *more* hours than I sat on the transatlantic plane flight. That's a 10 hour train ride, fellas! I am not complaining, though. The train had cots to lay down on. I was very comfy, and slept a good 6 hours. (that's more than I expected, to tell the truth!) So I am waiting to catch my next train to Hamburg, and then a connecting one to Copenhagen! Can't wait to hear what gibberish Danish sounds like. ;)

To wrap up the rest of my trip to Poland (which you will be seeing pictures of soon, I promise), yesterday Niki, her mother, and I went to Auschwitz.

It was somehow not what I expected. I guess I was expecting to feel the ghosts of the hundreds of thousands of people who died there or something... but I didn't feel there what I had felt while reading books of what happened there. I guess that I am moved more by the stories than I am the numbers. Don't get me wrong: I was moved by what I saw... But I think that I shut myself down. I don't think that I wanted to feel anything.

One of the things that did get me were the piles and piles of shoes that the Nazis had taken away from them. Thousands of shoes, just piled 8 feet high and 12 feet deep in this long hallway on both sides of you. If you have ever been to the Holocaust museum in Washington DC and seen that exhibit with the shoes, that was nothing compared to this.

Well, I still have 20 minutes until the train gets here. Will try and blog again soon. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looking forward to hearing about your next adventures and seeing all of your pictures from the beautiful land of po! stay safe and keep us updated!