Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Solid

Right now, I am solid with the internet connection. We're tight. There for each other... ya know.

(Translation: Finally, I have an internet connection.)

And I am uploading pictures to photobucket right now (so you should expect to see that in your inbox as well as a Blog With Pictures.

While I'm waiting for that to download, I'm going to tell you a few things.

While I've been here, I've read four books, knitted three pairs of socks (SSS on the fourth pair, sad to say), taken over 500 pictures, spent approximately 45 hours on trains, and visited five countries. I have watched the 9 dvds that I brought with me twice (at least), and the movie I have on my ipod, 27 dresses, I have watched five times. I have called my mother 4 times, Brandlyn twice, Duncan once, and sent about a bajillion emails (approximately.) I have listened to the Robin Williams standup routine on my ipod about eight times, and the Ellen Degeneres one about 4. I have eaten more chocolate than I probably should, and have drank a LOT of Coke Zero and tea. (I feel like tea runs through my veins instead of blood. Thus is the English life.)

And thus, I have whiled away enough time to upload all of my photos. Here, I will show you Denmark!

-----

The first day that I was in Copenhagen, Heidi took me on a boat tour around the canals. It was an interesting way to tour Copenhagen, but a good one. It lasted about an hour.
This is Molly. She is the sweetest little Labrador that I have ever met! She made me miss my own three doggies something terrible!! She never barked, and was very good at snuggling and looking hungry. We drove to Hurup, this tiny little village in northern Denmark on the second day I was there. This is their house.
These are the Steps From Hell. Walking up and down them sober was a challange, but after schnaps and wine, it was worse. I didn't ever fall down them though (Triumph!!) but I felt like it most of the time. These steps are actually worse than the ones at Grandad's house. ;)
The first day that I was in Hurup, Heidi, Tomas, and Tina took me to see many of the burial mounds that are everywhere in Northern Denmark. The landscape is just riddled with them. In this picture, there are three of them.

There was one that was really close to us, and we were able to actually go in it! This particular mound was about 5000 years old. It was incredible in there. It was picth black, and even the air smelled old.

This is Heidi's sister, Tina. The flash illuminated the cave, but without the candle we couldn't see anything.
This is Tomas (or one of them!), Tina's husband. He teaches history at a high school, and was full of all sorts of information all the time. He was better than a tour guide.

Heidi's father turned 59 while we were in Hurup, and we had a big party with schnaps and beer and a LOT of food. I am still surprised that I can fit food in me. ;)

(This is the aftermath of dinner one day. It wasn't even the big party. ;) Lots and lots of beer. And the schnaps were on the other side of the table. Three years ago when I was in Germany, I didn't like schnaps. This time I discovered that do. Hrhm...) A pretty village church.

We went to the beach one night. These pictures were taken around 10:30pm... just to give you an idea of how light it is so late at night. What shocked me most about the shore of the North Sea on this end was how windy and violent it was. On the other side (in England/Scotland, it's quite calm, so to see people surfing the waves was a real experience. (This is Heidi!)(We all got ice cream, and then we gave Molly some too... because she was giving us the Hungry Look.)

We went to a castle (Honestly, I'm not sure which one it was... I should have written that down...) And on the way there (and back) the bridge was up. So I took a picture.

This is the castle. What I thought was most interesting about this castle was that it wasn't built was a summerhome for some rich nobleman or king, it was really built for defense in the medieval times.

See? A moat.This is inside the castle. And this is the view from the castle. Look how pretty it is!! Apparently this is what a real Danish summer day looks like. I only saw one of these, because it rained for most of the rest of the trip! And this was one of the coolest things about the castle. It had a medieval fair next to it! There were about 100 actors pretending to live the medieval life here. There was even a sword fight! And people were selling their wares... and I think you could actually buy some of it.

Aaaaand this is Heidi and I at the train station this morning. Goodbye Heidi!

No comments: