Sunday, July 6, 2008

Undercover Barbeque

Today I was a spy.

Really, it's true. I hung from ceilings, took sneaky top-secret pictures from a brooch, and even pulled that stunt that Angelina Jolie pulls in Mr. and Mrs. Smith with my handbag.

Oh, all right. I went to a barbeque in England and I spent the day as Texan Corespondent to Barbeques.

My Aunt and Uncle took me with them to a barbeque this afternoon. It was, to say the least, interesting. It spent the entire morning through to about 3:30 dumping rain on us and then the sun came out to play a bit, and it's just rained again about an hour ago. England has very strange weather.

Going to the barbeque, I wasn't expecting a good, hearty Texan Barbeque, with pork chops, ribs, and grilled corn on the cob (Yum...) but what I did get was really cool. (I think we should try this sometime.) The hosts brought out a really long barbeque grill (about 6 feet long!) and two other smaller ones and everyone brought their own meat to grill for their own families. Everyone also brought salads, drinks and desserts to share with everyone else. It was fantastic. So Neil brought some pork, lamb (on a stick!), and sausages to grill for us and I floated around smiling and saying 'Yall' to people. (People love it here when you say something weird.)

They had tents up because, as Anne pointed out "We love standing outside, but when it rains we complain about the rain, and when it's sunny we complain about the glare." After the rain, the wind caused the collected water on the tents to dump on people... it was pretty funny. The tents proved quite nice when the sun did come out, though. I even took off my Big Warm Sweatshirt at one point... though it was still like 75 degrees outside.

No pictures today. I spent the day in a food coma, and thus was rather useless at everything.

Oh, and about yesterday, since I didn't blog. Travel went smoothly, and I even finished the ever-elusive second sock for Kerry-Lynn on the train.

Actually, let me rephrase that. I started and finished the ever-elusive second sock for Kerry-Lynn. That's right, my friends. I knitted the entire sock in one day.

(Pauses for applause.)

Right. So Kerry-Lynn, when I get back, you'll actually have a pair of socks, instead of just one. Now both your feet won't freeze in the depths of winter. ;)

(On a side note, I keep freaking people out when I tell them I'm from Texas and they comment that this must be a lot cooler weather than I'm used to. I tell them, "Yes, it is. Actually, this is really like winter weather for me." They look at me in shock. It's really funny.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good timing! I was planning on getting rid of one of my feet! I was thinking the left. (better balance on the right) miss you, K-L