Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Big news!

Alright. So I have some rather Big News which I will share with you at the end. First, I have to bore you with some other things. (Although how you could be bored with me is beyond my comprehension. I am quite interesting, am I not? Come on, indulge me. I'm several thousand miles away and miss my mommy.)

First, I found the Local Yarn store here in Edinburgh. A simply lovely shop called "K1 Yarn Knitting Boutique". Me being dumb, I forgot to take a picture of it, but I did buy a local sock yarn dyed by a woman in Glasgow. Isn't it beautiful? It's soft too. The woman working there was really nice. It was easy to find and a great atmosphere. I love that all yarn stores are so different, but have the same feeling inside.


Here are some more picturesque views of Edinburgh. A fact that Cathy keeps reminding me of is that during WWII, Edinburgh escaped any bombing raids... which has turned out fantastically for the city. The entire city is a national heritage site, and so nothing can be destroyed... which means that the side of Edinburgh that I'm on right now was mostly constructed in the mid 19th century. The thought simply thrills me. I love me some old stuff.

And finally, to the main event.

I finally lived up to half of my heritage today and saw the Queen today!

She is here in Edinburgh for the week (the only time she comes up here ever year) to perform a ceremony for the Oldest and Most Noble Order of the Thistle (I swear, you can just hear the capital letters when people say it.) We staked out our spot and were able to have prime real estate for viewing the Queen... however, this lot got in our way.


Didn't bother me, though. I still saw the Queen. And managed to get a picture.


So there. I am half British. Officially. As if the passport, birth certificate, and father with an accent didn't prove anything.

(Awww, look! A Page!!)

2 comments:

Cara said...

So now you have seen a President and a Queen! Who knows what's next?!

MSbeckey said...

Beautiful pictures!I'm so glad you are keeping a journal on this trip. You will really treasure it later.