Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Unstoppable

That is me: Unstoppable.

Perhaps a smidge obsessive, too... on the side, of course.

I really do think that knitting is obsessive. It's also ridiculously, and probably at an illegal level, rewarding. Just the fact that you can see something growing right before your eyes is probably the most gratifying part of my life at this point. Of course, I'm only 18 and have yet to see anything really that important.

Anyway, I finished those fingerless mittens/armwarmers that I think I might have mentioned sometime in the last week or so. I made one in 1 day and the other took me two because (God forbid) I, you know, work during school.

Current project: A little bag for one of the girls I babysat over the summer. And then the next one for the other girl. They shouldn't take long, considering that I altered the design of the bag that they saw and loved and asked oh-so-sweetly for their own so that it is slightly wider, longer and this time on circular needles... so no pesky purl stitch this time! I don't like those purl stitches...





Thus, are my fingerless mittens:

I have entitled them LONG STRIPEY FINGERLESS MITTENS :)



I got the idea of rotating ribbing from the socks that the yarn harlot made, and so the ribbing on the long mittens rotates as well.



Here's the pattern I pieced together from a bunch of other sources... but I guess you could say that it's my own creation. :)



CO 30 st onto size 4 DPN. Divide the stitches over 3 needles.

A. work 6 rows in K1P1 in 1 color

B. Switch to the other color and work P1K1.

Rep A and B until you have 8 stripes (4 of each color)

C. Knit 3 rows in Color 1.

Increases:

-k1, inc 1, k2, inc 1, k to end of row; work 1 row even

-k1, inc 1, k4, inc 1, k to end of row; SWITCH COLORS, work 1 row even

-k1, inc 1, k6, inc 1, k to end of row; work 1 row even

-k1, inc 1, k8, inc 1, k to end of row; work 1 row even

-Place 11 st onto st holder, inc 1

-Work 2 more rows in color 2

-Switch to color 1, k6 rows

-Switch to color 2, begin ribbing K1P1, 5 rows.

-BO.



Thumb:

-Remove the st from st holder and divide over 2 needles

-Pick up 5 stitches from around the thumb

-Work 2 rows in stockinette st

-K1P1 ribbing for 3 rows, BO.


Weave in ends and cut all strings, wear your lovely fingerless mittens with pride!

No comments: