Monday, November 12, 2007

A little farther than I thought

Okay, so I've been thinking of taking some knitting classes (You know. The ones with actual people who teach) and perhaps shaping up on some of the things I've kind of, well, made up as I went along.

I knew that I wouldn't go for the beginners lessons. (Pssh. Knit stitch, purl stitch, cast on, bind off, increase, decrease. I pssh in your face.)


I thought perhaps intermediate lessons would be nice.


I actually think that I should do this. Because I know all the (well, most of the) basics. Do I need to point out the number of scarves I've made? Let's review:


12 scarves (1 of which is on the needles) From L-R, a story of scarves: Amber and cream stripey, Hot Tamale scarf (and in the front is the Candy-cane feathery, who is in progress), then there's Tigery-velvety scarf, Springy scarf, Dirty green scarf, Green and cream stripey, South Carolina scarf, Scarf #1, Teal feathery, Scarf #2, purpley feathery.

Scarf #1 I knit when I was about 13. Scarf #2 I finished when I was 15. Notice a gap? Ya.
(I can see 7 gifts coming out of that pile, by the way). South Carolina scarf is the newest one (between Scarf #1 and green and cream stripey scarf.) I finished it today during Philosophy. Yay!

So clearly, I have no lack of talent on the beginners front. But I itch, I long to take on harder projects. Hence, mittens. Check out these mittens I finished tonight.

They have Z's in them! They're for a friend of mine, whose name is Zuleikha (Or Zoo, for short...) And I'm her secret santa. So, I made her some mittens. Even though we don't need them in Texas, if I darn well want to knit some mittens for a friend, I darn well will.

Anyway, the Z's were kind of hard, but once I got them going they were easy. That's called Fair Isle knitting, I think, and I have CONQUERED IT.

Next: Lace. Perhaps. Maybe. Okay, not for a bit.

But before that... more christmas scarves. -sigh-

No comments: