Sunday, February 8, 2009

On Writing, Pluto and a Question

Last night, I spent a good long time talking with Siobhan on MSN messenger. She's one of my absolute best buds and the only person who I rely on to edit for me. Our friendship and our longstanding writing buddyship makes us perfect for editing each others work. We both know exactly what the other really wants to say and what message we want to get across and I can't ever really express how grateful I am to her for her work on my stories. We compliment each other's styles in a way that I will probably never understand!

I love talking writing with her. Most of the time I feel like she is the only person who I can talk to about it, and I love when we can have long conversations like we did last night. We run story ideas by each other all the time. Somewhere around 2 in the morning, I remembered about this story that I had thought up about four or so years ago and I ran the idea by her - just to see what she thought. (She loved it, of course! :D) I reread what I had done in 2005, and decided that giving it another shot would be a good idea and this afternoon, in amongst the laundry, I started drafting a collection of short stories. It feels good to write my own stuff. Real good. It requires a whole other set of thinking, though, to sort out all the possibilities. Fanfiction is so much easier, in my opinion! I'll write it out and keep yall updated, cause I think that once I get it right they'll be worth something.

I've been procrastinating this afternoon. I had to do some small research for an in-class essay that I have to write in English on Monday and Wednesday, and I decided that I'd choose a topic I was interested in: Pluto's Demotion. It took absolutely forever to find some good articles, but in the end I did. I ended up finding four good ones, and now I just have to skim them over and glean what information I can from them before I have to write about it. If this were more than an in-class essay, I'd attempt to prove whether Mars is a planet or not, (there is debate!) but I guess that's a discussion for another time.

I have a question for yall! I made a potential new banner for the top of the blog. What do yall think? Like it or not? (I think it's hilarious, except that yall might not. It's making fun of that really odd review I got that I mentioned in my last post. ;) )


I've got another cute one rolled up my sleeves. If yall have any ideas for blog banners, I would put them up there!

Well that's enough of that. Writing, essays, and banners were my only important topics of the day!

(Tee hee hee! I just clicked the "Check Spelling" feature up there, and the only words that it found wrong was "MSN", "buddyship" and "yall"... except that it found 'yall' five times. I love that word.)

1 comment:

Laurel Kornfeld said...

If you're writing about Pluto's demotion, be sure to note that it was done by only four percent of the IAU and was immediately rejected in a petition of an equal number of astronomers led by Dr. Alan Stern, Principal Investigator of NASA's New Horizons mission to Pluto. You can find that petition here: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/planetprotest/

Many astronomers still consider Pluto a planet and are working now, along with lay people, to get the demotion overturned. You can read more about this on my Pluto blog at http://laurele.livejournal.com