Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Aaaaaaargh!

I don't frequently want to bang my head against a wall, but this is one of those unfortunate infrequent moments.

My history class was canceled this afternoon and I decided that I would grab a coffee and smack my arse down in a chair and start to write, at the very least plan my essays that I have to write to get into the UT School of Communications. I need to write a "Describe an issue in your community," and a "Statement of Purpose" essay.

I am drawing a blank, and it is the most frustrating blanks I have ever drawn. I know that I have time (a month) to write these essays, and that if I smack them down now that I can spend the next month sending it to my family members and having them critique and edit it... but I just cannot find the words to write.

Finding the words is something I pride myself on. I've always got the words when I write. I haven't had trouble writing an essay since... well, probably since last year, when I had to write essays to apply to colleges.

Right now, I feel like everything I write is just ridiculous, or stupid, or not going to impress them. I know that I am a good writer and I know that I have what it takes to get into this school, but suddenly, faced with the fact that I have to impress these people, I am balking.

So if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go find a wall.

1 comment:

Becky said...

This is exactly what I went through when doing my law school application. I think it's way harder to write about yourself than probably anything else. Maybe just try out a few different ideas and write them, then leave it for a few days, and then go back and see what you can do with it. Remember that your goal is to show why you stand out - what makes you different - and show things that don't otherwise come through in your application. They know your grades, they know your school activities. Maybe talk about you trips to England and that heritage or maybe even blogging. Good luck!