Monday, October 13, 2008

WHUH.

Oh my gosh. Yesterday and today were a complete rollercoaster of emotions. I didn't even know that I could feel so many emotions. Ever.

This weekend, Abby and I went to Austin to do a bit of dog/house sitting... which to me, means a fancy new stove to cook on and a jacuzzie!!

So we had a good weekend... and then last night we drove back to Austin, threw on our costumes, and went to a costume/birthday party for one of Abby's friends who is turning 18. We had a good time. We busted a pinata, played fun games, and then, when all of the birthday girl's younger cousins went home, played 'spin the gun'... which is the same idea as spin the bottle... except that somebody had a gun with their costume, and it sounded like a lot of fun. The best part about it was that there were 6 girls, 2 gay guys, and 1 straight guy. Abby kept on trying to take pictures, but her camera timer was off... so she kept on pressing the button, missing the kodak moment, and then yelling "DARN IT!!" That was almost funnier than kissing a gay guy.

After that, we invited people to come and hang out at our apartment. So Abby's friends Josh and Tara came over, and we made coffee and hung out until around 1am... at which point Abby and I were like "SHOO. WE HAVE SCHOOL TOMORROW." and kicked them out the door. But we had had a lot of fun. It made me feel like my social circle was expanding - always a good thing.

And today? Today was just one of those days... (Hey! I know that phrase...)

It started off pretty bad, and it seemed to be an omen that it would get worse... (but never fear - there is light at the end of the tunnel.)

This morning was one of those odd and unpredictable mornings that my phone does not seem to remember that it is supposed to wake me up. (Usually it is once a month... which leads me to believe that my phone has a menstrual cycle. Which I wouldn't doubt, seeing as how it has misbehaved all weekend.) I did wake up at 8:20, which wasn't so bad, because I usually leave at 8:40 to make it to my 9am class. It just meant that I didn't get to drink coffee.

I got to my class with 5 minutes to spare, and Brandlyn called me and I gushed to her about how much fun I had last night. Here's where things go a little iffy. I had been listening to my iPod, and I remember taking it out of my ear and wrapping it up... but beyond that, I don't know what I did with it. I assumed I had dropped it in my bag, because that's what I always do. I enjoyed my English class, because they were talking about the paper that I had already wrote, (STILL.) and so I wrote a little of this new story floating around in my brain for the class. And then I went to my French class, spoke a little French (I think I'm actually getting the hang of it! I was praised by the teacher today.) and then went home for lunch. I checked the mail, and voila! (<- See? French.) the keyboard that I had ordered had come! (You might remember that I have had no y key for more than a year. Actually, probably a good year and a half now.) (Wow, as an aside, I am officially a blogger that can make cool link references!) Last week I decided that I have had enough of this, and ordered a new keyboard to replace my stupid one.

I played with my new keyboard, ate lunch, called Duncan, and then went to my math class, where I realized that... oh, my God. Where is my iPod. I nearly stood up and left class, but I held out, getting more and more nervous. As soon as the lesson was over, I walked right over to my morning classes and peeked into the rooms and looked for the iPod and could not find it. I walked over to the university police station, where the lost and found is, and they did not have it. I broke down.

I cried the whole way home. I frantically searched the apartment and cried some more. I called mom and cried to her. She made me feel a little better, but it did not make me feel like any less of a loser for being careless and probably missing my bag when I went to put my $500 iPod into it. I felt dumb, I felt expensive, and I felt like today was the worst day ever. Nobody was going to turn in my iPod and I was going to have to deal without music for who knows how long, and I don't know what to do because everything is crashing down around my head.

...I decided to do some homework and distract myself... and eventually I calmed down. Even forgot about it a little. Abby and I went to chat with the RA for a bit (we might have been complaining about our lousy neighbors downstairs who can't seem to understand that walking on hardwood floors makes noise. And we can't help it. They do this stupid thing where the hit the ceiling when we are apparently too loud.) and then went to HEB and bought cake mix (Tomorrow is Abby's 19th birthday!) and sodas and then we came home and made pizza... and then I got the email.

"Your iPod has been found and can be picked up at the lost and found."

And suddenly, there it was. Everything became wonderful again. I do have good iPod karma, as I have done my part in returning other peoples' ipods before.

I set up these adorable little monsters that Abby and I bought at Target in the window. (I love the bats with their little teeth! Soooo adorable.)


I decided that I would be brave and tackle changing my keyboards and if I really couldn't make it work, there has got to be someone on campus that could.

Look? Stupid y key. It types... but I had to really push into the bed of the keyboard. I would have done something long before this if the y key had not typed...


I took apart the computer (Inn'it cool?!)



I fitted the new keyboard in, I screwed everything back in, reassembled everything together and VOILA.


It's like having a new computer. Seriously. I have created the habit of really reaching in to type the 'y'... I will probably do it for a while. And it's kind of been my point of reference, because I can touch-type. Instead of the F and the J keys... I had my Y key. I don't miss it... but it'll take a while to remember that I have a normal computer now.

Life is so unexpected. I cannot believe how many emotions have gone rolling through my brain and my body over the last few days... it kind of feels unreal.

No comments: