Tuesday, October 7, 2008

In which I probably make a few people angry

So who watched the debate tonight?

I did. I even took notes, knowing that I would blog about it. Personally, I am a supporter of Obama and I did approach the debate with this bias, and what I will comment on are most definitely biased. (Such as the fact that I think McCain kind of sounds like a turtle. You know it'st true. ;) )

But seriously, I got the sense that McCain's approach to tonight's debate was mostly to attack. He spent a lot of time reiterating the fact that he is Old and Wise and has spent his life serving our country, be it in war or in government.

He frequently brought up voting history and the fact that "I Voted This Way" and "Obama Voted That Way". I believe that he spent the debate pandering to the voters that he already has, instead of trying to reach out to voters that were on the fence.

I also believe that his answer to the answer to "Is Russia Evil" was a cop out. Maybe? Seriously!?

And as far as the health priorities goes, McCain believes that he will be able to balance energy, health care, and education all at once. Somehow, I find that hard to believe. The nation is now ten trillion dollars in debt... that's a lot of zeros. How could we give the appropriate funding and attentions to all three causes at once?

McCain spent a lot of time reiterating the fact that "We can ___." Fill in the blank. 'Fix the economy', 'bring our troops home in glory', 'win this war'. McCain has experience on his side, but, as a girl so bluntly pointed out in my politics class "He's old." My experience is that when you've been around for a while, you tend to get stuck in your ways because they're easy.

And now for Obama. Epitome of change...

It is very easy to write about what I disagree with McCain over... it's a little more difficult to write about what issues I agree with Obama on, for in my opinion there is little point in just saying "I agree." However, I will. I agree with Obama that health care should be a right. If we implemented a system that was similar to those that exist in Europe, it would be necessary to keep in mind what the strongest issues are over there: the waiting lists, the competency of the doctors, and the quality of the service provided, to name a few.

I believe that Obama's response to the question "Is Russia Evil?" was an excellent one. To paraphrase, 'They are not evil, their actions are.'

Obama made the point a few times that change in Washington DC is imminent and necessary, and I completely agree. If the entire nation is looking toward DC to set the standard, DC needs to step up to the plate.

Unlike McCain, Obama has priority list in regards to heath: 1) Energy, 2) Health Care, 3) Education. I think he's got it right. I don't enjoy dumping upward of $50 (and I am one of the lucky ones) on a tank of gas. It is most important to create, within the next ten years (which Obama thinks is possible) to create alternate energy sources. As far as health care, I will not pretend to know enough about the system to have an opinion (I am, after all, only eighteen) and then to Education... I am in the midst of it right now, and I want the security to know that when I grow up and start a family, that I will be able to send my children to good schools. It seems pretty far in the future, but in reality, it is likely within the next ten years, if not a little longer, that that would occur for me, and I want that security in knowing that Obama will implement something that will create a solution to those problems.

I think that both of the candidates were pandering to the voters they already had. I went in being biased toward Obama, and I believe that I heard what I wanted to hear from him. As for McCain, I could barely get over the fact that he says "My friends" all the time. It was alright in the beginning, but by the end it was downright distracting. I have every faith in Obama to lead our nation into change. People argue that McCain knows what he is doing, whereas Obama is too new to know, and would require on-the-job training... but think about it. If change is what we're after, McCain knowing how to play the Politics Game won't bring about change. Isn't this nation unhappy with what is happening right now?

This election will go down in the history books, no matter what the outcome in a month's time, and I am proud to say that I will have participated.

When I was in Germany this last summer, several of us were sitting around a campfire, and I was teaching them how to toast marshmallows (because apparently they don't do that! What about s'mores?!). I explained the politics behind those who believe that the perfect marshmallow was perfectly golden brown, and those who believe that the perfect marshmallow is burned to a crisp. (Personally, I prefer the burnt marshmallow.) I made a burnt one for one of the guys sitting around the fire and he took it saying 'It's an Obama marshmallow!', because it was black. I laughed and replied 'Does it make you believe in America again?'

It's kind of true though. Obama inspires people to act, in a way that I've never seen people react, whether they support him or not. I remember the 2004 election... In school, we talked about it, but it was no big deal. I overheard seniors talking in the halls, asking each other if they would vote, and most of them didn't seem to care. It could be that my ears are more 'open' this time around, but I have heard more people debate and talk about the election than I would have ever expected within my age group. Abby and I talk about it every day. I hope that people of every age take it upon themselves to vote this year, because it is so important. This is likely the most important decision that you will be able to influence for a long time, so take the opportunity.

No comments: