Monday, October 20, 2008

Oh, Mr. Darcy

In High School, there was a senior English teacher that I never got to have. She was the most fantastic woman who always knew who I was (Ironically, she was the one who interviewed me when I was in eighth grade when I applied to St Mike's.) She was an English dork through and through who always told me I was her favorite student that she never got to teach. I think she will be teaching forever, just because she loves her students... but I think she likes reading Chaucer, Shakespeare, and Austen every year!

This particular teacher told her students (and whoever else would listen) that whenever she felt sick or just off-center, she would turn on Pride and Prejudice (The one with Colin Firth) and watch it the whole way through and that she would feel a lot better at the end of it.

The first time I watched Pride and Prejudice was when I was in Poland staying with Niki. We watched the whole thing in one night, and I absolutely fell in love with it. The story has always interested me, and I loved the new version of it with Keira Knightly, but this was in a whole different league. Plus, Colin Firth is... well. Colin Firth. ;)

I have been feeling off center for most of the day, kind of like my stomach was about five feet in front of me all day and my brain on slow motion all day. I know why, but I'm not really going to blog about it yet, so that's all you get. I figured that, if I can't concentrate and I don't feel well, I should go to my classes, do as much homework as I can stand and then give Pride and Prejudice a whirl. What could it hurt? If anything it'll just give me some time to lie down and relax.

I just finished watching it... and it actually worked. I was swept along in the story of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth and even though I know exactly how the story ends, somehow I doubt that they'll end up falling in love every time. I completely forgot everything for a good five hours and it felt fantastic. I feel a lot more calm and in control of things after it. The off-centerness is still here... it's just a little closer than it was before. We shall see how tomorrow goes.

No comments: