Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Weather Frog Update and Classes!

What's the weather frog telling me today?


Weather Frog is telling me that there are a few clouds outside (named Dorrie and Morrie) and tha it's sunny... and so hot that he really wants somewhere to swim and drink a margarita. (Wait - or is that me?)

Today I had my first college classes!

My day started at 7:45 this morning when I stumbled into the kitchen to turn on the coffee maker and eat cottage cheese and apple butter (Yum!) for breakfast and then I got ready and left the apartment at 8:30. It took me about fifteen minutes to walk across the parking lot and get to my class. The first class I had was a 9am Freshman Composition... and it seems like it'll be a pretty easy and straightforward class. It's all about writing papers... and we all know what a terrible and unstructured writer I am! The teacher is a lovely woman in her early sixties (I'm just guessing) who seems to be a really sweet person. I don't know what kind of teacher she is, because she just outlined the class and chatted with us today, but it seems like she'll be a straightforward and good teacher.

My French class is another story. The teacher spoke in French the entire time. Luckily, with my 8-year history of Spanish class in Elementary, Middle, AND High School ( <- This is why I'm taking French...) I understood more or less what the professor was saying... unlike the poor people sitting on either side of me who had previously taken German and Sign Language. I had to whisper translations to them! I don't think it'll be an easy class but I think I might pick it up quickly. :) I learned the alphabet, how to count to 20, and basic greetings and farewells. I feel smart...ish.

My last class today was my math class... Which is totally oriented toward COLFA (College of Liberal and Fine Arts) people like myself. We're the "Not Math" People... and I think that this will be a good class for me to take. All the tests are open book, but the teacher said that if we attend class and do the (optional) homework, we shouldn't need to use the books at all.

So now that I have the afternoon to myself (and since I already did my French homework... Lookit me all motivated!) I think I will go run for an hour at the Rec center.

(And when I say 'run' I mean walk a lot and occasionally jog a lap around the indoor track.)

No comments: