Thursday, August 28, 2008

More classes and a stupid mistake

So I betcha yall are just BURNING UP waiting for me to post and see how my classes were today, right?

(I knew it!! Yes!)

Today I had Politics and Astronomy... A little birdy told me that they will be hard classes, but they sound so cool. I had Politics this morning and it's one of my Large and Populated Lecture Hall Classes... So large, it shocked me every time the professor said the number.

Anyone wanna guess?

If your answer 436, you're right. (If it wasn't, you're out of luck. And you're not a very good guesser.)

The thing is, when you're in the room, it doesn't seem like such a large number. The professor is just so interesting and he involves the students so much that it seems like it's just you and him. It seems like this class will be a good one.

And astronomy... I've always wanted to take an astronomy class. In years past in science classes, my ears have always perked highest when discussing stars, the solar system, anything that exists above our atmosphere. "Friend Moon" is arguably my best and longest friend, and at any chance I would write a paper for science class about stars. There are not as many people in my astronomy class as politics (Only 245) and the professor seems to know that most of us are in there for a science credit... but I am so thrilled to finally get to explore something I actually want to learn. This hasn't happened very often in high school (The three best classes I took in High School: Brit Lit, Newspaper, and Roman History) and I can't wait to get to learning this stuff.

So aside from classes today, two things worth blogging about occurred.

The first was when Abby and I went to have lunch at the Roadrunner Cafe (a trek all the way to the other side of campus... which we decided to drive.) I had my sandwich in hand and Abby was waiting in the line for something to be prepared, and a girl came over and asked to sit down. We started chatting, and seemed really nice. She's a CAP student and a Freshman, who is living in one of the dorms on campus, and when there was a lull in the conversation, I held out my hand and said "My name is Stefanie, by the way."

And she turned around and replied, "Hey! My name is Stefani too!" (And except for the obvious lack of an 'e' on the end of her name, she seems really cool. I suppose I'll forgive her her parent's faulty spelling skills... hehehe) And it turns out that we have our math class together, so now I have a math buddy!

When Abby sat down a few minutes later, she said "There's more of you around here?!" Apparently so!

The other thing worth noting that happened today was a bit of a mistake. Apparently if you spend all summer in Europe where the rain follows you everywhere and the sun isn't as directly pointed at you... you forget to bring (and wear) sunscreen.

Yup, that's right folks. It turns out that today, the weather frog was actually right. (Aww! Lookit him hanging on a cloud!)


In the 1 hour and 20 minutes that I spent walking back and forth from classes (20 minutes each way) I got a sunburn. Not a bad one, but one that is definitely there.

So it seems that I have two options:

1) Wear a lotion with sunscreen in it. (Or just sunscreen. I'm not picky.)
OR
2) Begin to wear sweatshirts all the time... because it's less skin exposure.

I'm thinking option 1... because it's easier to put on sunscreen than to learn to deal with heatstroke.

No comments: