Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Back to Canterbury!

Yesterday, I went back to Canterbury. It was a bit of a blessing, really. I am not sure I could have amused myself all day without really irritating my Aunt and Uncle a lot! I hadn't planned on it, but my cousins (more of them!) were in town, and I really wanted to see them. So when my Auntie Kara (My dad's sister) came to my Uncle Neil's (dad's brother. Where I've been staying.) house to visit, I hitched a ride with her down into Canterbury to see the rest of the gang. (I have lovingly dubbed them Kara and Co. :D ) We stayed at Grandad's house (and I got a more flattering picture of him.)

And Mom, I think I know how you felt when you peeped into my room a few months ago, and saw Randi, Brandlyn and I all sleeping in my bed... because I walked in on the three of them watching TV in the same chair!




And last night, Saskia (my eleven-year-old cousin... who just keeps growing up!) walked along the shore and threw rocks into the sea...
and ate a little ice cream too. (My treat. I have to spoil those cousins when I see them, considering I only see them every few years!)



And today, we did something that I was hoping to do all summer: we went to Canterbury Cathedral.


I love that cathedral. It's something that I was hoping to do last time we were in Canterbury, but wasn't able to do. Every time I go there it's like magic. You get a real sense of the power of God and the power of man to worship God there. It's so incredibly intricate and detailed... but not in the overly gaudy fashion of many cathedrals I've seen.


I try and go there as often as I can. It blows me away. I am more impressed by this place than I am of many other cathedrals I've been to. Such as the one I was at earlier this week, Salisbury, and even Notre Dame.



Something else I did was go to St. Martin's church. Which is the oldest church in England.... Built in 597. Seriously.




You get a nice little view straight to the Cathedral from here.

During the day, I got a nice photo with my three cousins. There's Jack (9), Seth (7), and Saskia (11).


And Kara.

And right after I took the photo with Kara, we looked up the wall and saw this: A pigeon Mama feeding her baby pigeons!!

AND... The world's best house number plate.

Sas and I were walking around last night and I snapped that photo. Isn't that just awesome!?

1 comment:

Barb Matijevich said...

Boy, you know what? Your camera really DOES suck! I'd be glad to take it off your hands...

Best house sign EVER! Now it makes me want to do something with my "7."