Monday, August 3, 2009

More Vacation!

So a few more days have passed, and much has occurred!

Friday and today were much of the same - sitting on the beach and reading, some of us going into the water and others of us (meaning moi) watching and occasionally venturing into knee-deep territory (I have a problem with the taste of the salt water. Blech!) Though this afternoon I did go in and immerse myself in the ocean! I had a great time.

This week, I have only read two books. The first was The Making of Mia, which was actually a good read. It followed a girl, Jo Hill, as she finishes up her schooling and begins her life as an aspiring writer for magazines. Unfortunately for her, she is grossly overweight and must overcome being fat and plain in order to fit into the world of fashion and journalism. It was very interesting to read about how she makes all of these changes to herself and her body and really makes you think about what is worthwhile in life and what is left at face value.

The other read was The Thief Lord, which was about a group of orphaned children who follow an older boy named Scipio picking pockets and stealing from tourists in Venice, Italy. It was a sweet read - one that I would have probably enjoyed more had I read it about five years ago. The chapters were short, the font was large, and despite there being six or seven main characters it was easy to distinguish voices in the. And the true test (for me) was when I got to the end of the book and could easily think about the futures of each of the boys and how I would have loved to read just a little bit more about them.

So Saturday rolled around and it was perfect - beyond perfect. But unfortunately it was a short day for us because the party started at 4 (which meant that the drinking commenced at 3!) The party was a lot of fun (for more details and pictures, look at Mom's blog) - it included conga lines, dances, speeches (a sweet one from Mike - awwww!) and group photos at the end. Here is the whole party - all Cliffords, can you believe it?


What a family.

Last night we went to Seaside, which was a boardwalk full of rides and side games. Duncan, Stephen and I wandered along and played a few games, even won a few prizes. My favorite was probably the frog toss, where you put a plastic frog on a ledge and then smash the other side of it with a hammer so the frog goes flying into the pond - and hopefully onto a lily pad. I made my first one, but missed the rest. Oh well! We had a good time.

Tonight is my last night in Lavallette. I'm a little sad, because I genuinely like it here (I don't even begrudge the beach for my sunburn, which could happen anywhere) what lies ahead is great too. Tomorrow, I am off to see the Coopers!

No comments: