Monday, March 2, 2009

Bathtime!

Every once and a while, I decide that it is time to treat myself to a bath. A real bath, one with all the trimmings of relaxation that include music, books, and bubble bath. (The bubble bath is absolutely not optional!) And when I'm not at college, I'll light a candle... but since I can't do that here in my apartment, I obviously nix it.

I have this (some people tell me it's insane) idea about showers that they are purely economical on a day-to-day basis. I get in the shower, I wash up, I get out... I don't need to make it any more than that. Most days I take five minute showers, just because I get bored if I stay in there much longer. What is the point of a shower any longer than the time it takes you to wash and shave and whatever?

But baths are there purely for my enjoyment. I love taking baths. Abby and her boyfriend Nathan went out to eat for their four year anniversary, so I took the time to run the tub and soak for a while. I love running the water so hot that when you stick your feet in, you have second thoughts about submerging yourself. It only stays like that for a few minutes and then you have a nice, long hot bath ahead of you.

I set up my computer (on the other side of the room!), put on Duncan Sheik music and grabbed a book (Tonight, it was The Seer and the Sword by Victoria Hanley). I love to read really familiar books in the tub, because I can start in the middle of the book and not feel like I'm cheating myself out of anything. I've read Seer and the Sword at least once a year for the last five years; it's just one of those books that I love rereading because every time I do I see something new or something I forgot before. I read three chapters and by then all of the bubbles were gone and the water was starting to get kind of cool. (That's my bath rule: As soon as the bubbles are gone, I have to get clean.)

The bath put me in a much better mood than I have been in all day, and it definitely relaxed me. Now, I'm going to go make myself dinner and study for my history test. Less fun, but it has to get done.

For yall who are wondering, I did turn my essays on time (Saturday night, actually) and they were as good as I could get them by the end. I am proud of my work, and now all I have to do is successfully finish the semester, turn in my trasnscript by June 4th (or something like that) and they will tell me whether I'm in or not sometime during the summer.

No comments: