Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Je suis intelligente!

This afternoon, I skipped an Astronomy test to get awarded for how smart I am!

(Don't panic. I rescheduled with my professor last week so that I could take the exam tomorrow.)

There was a foreign languages award ceremony this afternoon, and both Abby and I were receiving awards in our respective languages (she German, I, French... Together, we have a more or less quadrilingual apartment! I have English, French, and Spanish and she has English and German! Look at us, covering most of Western Europe. I think she should take up Italian and we can really have something going, then.)

The ceremony wasn't too boring. The head of the department was this English guy... I giggled through his entire speech, mostly because I couldn't believe how posh and British he sounded. I mean, my family is English and all, but I have never heard a more proper and quintessentially English accent. And, to top it off, his last name is Wickham, which just made it all even better. (Pride and Prejudice, anyone?)

So, the ceremony was pretty straightforward. They called names in groups of five and we went up there to get our awards. Abby was my photographer, except she wasn't used to my fancy camera and a lot of them weren't timed right or were fuzzy. Oh well!


It was weird to go to something where you had to tell the person your name when you got to the table. That never happened to me at St. Mike's! My group of five ended up just being me, because a lot of people didn't turn up.

I got a photo with my professor too. Just because I knew that yall would want to see a photo in focus.


Madame is a sweet lady who speaks like a million languages and has lived in a million and two countries. She has this bizarre accent that nobody can seem to place and I swear she has a song and dance for every occasion. Class is never boring! If we are all in sour moods or if we're just tired, she'll start hopping from foot to foot and gesturing with her hands, saying, "Je suis dentiste!" Pulling teeth, indeed.

So, because I am so smart, I am going to fix myself a cup of celebratory tea and study for my next two exams. I already studied for my Astronomy exam with a friend from class yesterday, though, so I may just leave that to tomorrow morning. We met at Starbucks and I lent him my notes and expertise and he bought me coffee. A good trade off, huh?

1 comment:

MSbeckey said...

Congratulations, Stef! You are truly an amazing girl!