Monday, January 2, 2012

Breakathon Readathon Review: Leviathan


This was not a book I planned to read, but after all several of the books I have read in the last few weeks haven't been. Honestly, I was surprised at how much I was sucked into the story. It's not a book that I typically read, being that it is a steampunk book and that it takes place during a sort of pseudo-WWI. (My favorite historical novels are generally the pre-19th century kind. If there are swords involved? Extra bonus.) So I didn't expect all that much from this book, and even having heard of Scott Westerfeld's success with his other books and having heard him speak a few weeks ago at the Austin Teen Book Festival, I was dubious. (A theme I am recognizing is that I seem to be very dubious toward books I am unfamiliar with... This must change!) At the end, I was pleasantly surprised, not by the plot, but by the imagination of the book. The fascinating twist on the history in the book was that the Allied powers were called Darwinists and the Central powers, Clankers. The Darwinists flew bulbous creatures that were entire ecosystems put together (i.e. give yourself a skin and then stick bacteria that emit hydrogen as a byproduct - and then use the hydrogen as lift to fly) and the Clankers used more "traditional" machinery (though it was very advanced - the main character's mode of transportation was a futuristic Walker, with mechanical legs operated in the body). Extremely helpful to all of this were the illustrations - "A book with pictures?" you all shout; I know, I know. But it is a YA novel. They were very helpful, as illustrations generally are. Most surprising of all to me was that, at the end, I wanted to read the next one! Well, we shall see.

Likelihood I'll reread: 30% (But that doesn't mean I won't get the sequel!)
Likelihood I'll recommend: 60%

-----

Total Pages: 3718

No comments: