Monday, January 30, 2012

Three-ingredient, gluten-free, dairy-free, idiot-proof cookies

My roommate's birthday was last weekend, and although I got her a present, I felt bad that I didn't bake her a cake. Being that I love the bake so much, I thought it a shame that I didn't get the chance! 

Leslie is kind of tricky to bake for, though... she can't have gluten or lactose. I haven't had a chance to make much gluten free stuff, which I plan to do someday soon, but I thought I might combine my desire to cook from cookbooks AND make her a little belated birthday treat for the week! 

Tonight's choice? Idiot-proof Almond Butter Cookies from the Gluten-Free Bible. (The name is my own creation.)

Ingredients: (hold on to your hats!)
1 C sugar
1 C almond butter
1 egg.


Sugar, almond butter, and an egg... That's it!

Combine. Set oven to 350. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove. Cool. Eat.

I had my doubts that they would turn out well. After all, I've never attempted flourless cookies, let alone cookies with no more than three ingredients. "Where is the butter? Where is the salt? Where is the vanilla extract?!" my baker's conscience called to me. I worried that these wouldn't form a dough, wouldn't form little balls of dough, and would have to be carefully extracted from the sheet after baked.


I was wrong to worry.


Sure, they are quite flat and become a little chewy, but they are delicious! I used my own homemade almond butter, too. Which, incidentally, was some of the easiest stuff I've ever made. (1. Put almonds in food processor, 2. Turn food processor on, 3. Remove almond butter).

Once they've cooled, they're a delicious snack! 

No comments: