Monday, January 16, 2012

Breakathon Readathon Review: Pretties




I didn’t exactly commit to reading more of the Uglies series during the Readathon, leaving my last reading options open… but I didn’t exactly commit to not reading them either. So, as there were only a few days left and it was on my mind, after finishing The Fault in Our Stars I decided to return to Tally and her alternate universe. Something I have to commend Westerfeld on is his creativity, particularly in his language for this futuristic society; words like ugly, pretty, bubbly, bogus, and icy all have very particular definitions in these books, all within contextual clues, and I'd love to attempt to define them. I find great pleasure in being surprised or thrown off balance by a good book, and this series throws so many curveballs I can only cling on and hope I’m along for the whole ride! In this book, Tally spends most of the book trying to regain her former self after having been turned Pretty, and most of the book is spent in an interesting duality between being Pretty-Minded (read: vapid, self-centered, and vain) and moments of her previous Ugly-Mindedness (clever, tricky, and disobedient). Mistakes and betrayals are made, and pranks and tricks abound; I thoroughly enjoyed the ride that this book took me on, and I very much anticipate where the next book takes me!

Likelihood I’ll reread: 70%
Likelihood I’ll recommend to others: 90%

-----

Total Pages: 4851

I will likely be able to add a few pages more to this total by the end of the readathon, but it won’t be an entire book! There is still some time before the break is through, but I’ll post the results as soon as Leslie and I compare…

No comments: