Tuesday, January 10, 2012

In defense of eBooks

Being that I am an avid reader of books and lover of books, some people are a little surprised to find that I support eBooks. It's true - there is nothing better than holding a book in my hands. The weight of the book, the smell of it, the way the pages gently glow under the light of my bedside table, fanning the corner of the pages with my finger while I read; those are things that cannot be recreated in eBook format. (Although I wouldn't put it past someone to give my Kindle a book scent!) And, I will report, I have happily threatened many every spine on my shelf: I will break you.

I have some 82 books my kindle right now. Some of them are books that I love so dearly I have paid for twice, to ensure that I have a digital copy of the book wherever I go (such as The Lord of the Rings, Pride and Prejudice, and, more recently The Hunger Games). Just in case I need to read it at a moment's notice. Some of them are books that I really don't care to have copies of taking up space on my bookshelves in my room. Because I have hundreds of books here with me, and as soon as I have more space for more bookshelves, I'm absolutely going to town but until then... I don't need hard copies of some books.  Some of the books are books that I've read in my English classes, and were free because they're classics. A number of times, I've forgotten some of my books at home, and hastily purchased digital copies of them so I have textual references for class. I have Shakespeare's complete works in there - and my light-as-air Kindle weighs a heckuvalot less than my textbook of his complete works. It makes a lot of sense.

The size and weight of books is a huge issue for travel. Last summer when I went to Oxford, I was required to bring along seven big, rather heavy editions of the books I needed for my classes. Although I didn't have much time to read other things, I did manage to squeeze in a but of extracurricular reading while I was there, and all of it I did on my kindle. Not having those extra books with me was an absolute blessing. And in a few days when I board a plane to Maryland, guess what I'll be leaving behind? Heavy books. Notice how fast I read? My kindle has literally gotten lost in my purse before.

Aside from the size, what I will say about Kindles, Nooks and other ereaders (such as those on iPads and other tablets) is that they make people want to read. eReaders challenge the format that books have been restricted to for hundreds of years, and they make reading and the reading experience a wholly different one. The novelty (haha, novelty) of reading a book in this way is enough to entice anyone to read. Kids love them, because they're a fun gadget. Guess how much I care that they're using another gadget? They're reading. And if they're totally engrossed in a book, that is a wonderful thing. They absolutely should be. For me, the medium which I use to enjoy a book is irrelevant: Am I reading? Am I enjoying a great book? Excellent. Read on.

Nothing can replace the feel of a good book in my hands, but in my opinion, the experience of reading a great story that is totally engrossing is a universal experience. Even as someone who wants to go into the publishing business, I care that people are reading, not how they are doing so.

No comments: