Wednesday, October 21, 2009

NaNoHuhWhat?

Many of you are under the impression that I am a writer (to some degree) and in November I'm going to take that to a whole new level. Blog, let me introduce you to NaNoWriMo: National Novel Writing Month.

If it seems like it's a scary, scary prospect... well it is.

The idea, for those of you who are unfamiliar with the (massive, huge, completely mind-numbingly scary) project is that you (yes, you!) will write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. For those who are mathematically inclined (not me!) that is around 1667 words a day (about 6 pages.) 50,000 words becomes in the end (or so I've been told) somewhere between 175-200 pages... and I will be honest and say that I am simultaneously terrified and completely delighted to be participating this year. However, something that I am struggling with is the idea that quantity is more important than quality. We shall see how that goes...

Also, no editing allowed. "Editing and such other weak pursuits are for December", according to the NaNo book No Plot, No Problem.

I've been planning my novel (in a not-outliney kind of way) ever since my friend Karynna reminded me to sign up in early October. So far, all I have is the title and a basic character sketch of my main character. I know that it is going to be a contemporary novel of the vampire persuasion (Why yes, I am going there) and that it will take place on the UT campus (which, at the moment is my entire world right now, so it kind of fits.)

So what is the brilliant title of my brilliant novel? I Bleed Orange.

It kind of started off as a joke... and then became "Well, huh. I could totally write that! Wait, that might actually be a lot of fun!" I've decided my main character's names will be Jonathan Pierce and Cassie Thompson. Jonathan will be the vampire... and hilarity will ensue. (However, no "Robert Sparkleson" for my vampires! Sorry, Twilighters!)

I have a little circle of friends who are also (completely crazy/have a death wish/utter dorknerds like me) doing NaNo, and I know that we plan on having little "word wars" (like "who can write the most words in 30 minutes") and writing sessions throughout November and so far they all have plots that are far more developed than mine... but I'm not too worried. I know my plot will come to me as I write.

I confess, my dear readers, that I do need something from you. I need you to be my "Guilt Monkeys". I need you to constantly (or, well, if you remember to) hound me and ask me how my brilliant and hilarious soon-to-be-bestselling novel is coming, and do all but sit on my shoulders and remind me that I have a word count to hit every day and I have to do it!

(Or you could come over and do my laundry for me. A busy student/writer/person-who-takes-naps doesn't have time for tasks such as laundry... No? Well fine.)

So, is anyone else doing it? Are you up for the challenge? Please, let me know if you're doing it too so we can be writing buddies!

No comments: