Thursday, June 4, 2009

Baby Talk

A few weeks into this whole nanny thing, I'm starting to get the hang of it. I'm more confident with the baby, I am learning to recognize what she wants when she is upset, and I know how to change a diaper without getting poo on the changing mat. (The last one is key!)

I really like being a nanny, and I know that I always will love childcare. I loved being the Cooper's summer sitter a few years ago, and quite frankly, I've been babysitting for nearly six years now as my primary source of income.

But there is something different about nannying for a baby. It's rewarding and exhausting but on a totally different level than caring for an older child.


In the three weeks I've been taking care of Emma, I have noticed quite a number of changes:

For one, she can almost stand on her feet in her little bouncy chair. Her little toesies are just touching the floor.

She's started to wiggle and kick a lot more. If I'm not holding her, she's in her little boppie by my side. I don't know how much more pulverizing the left side of my body can take. I wonder how much longer the little wiggle-worm will go before she can start crawling and sitting by herself!

For another, she's started showing signs of teething. (The drooling, the pulling at her ears, the constant gumming of her toys.) She's not any more fussy than she normally is, but I have a feeling that will come.


She smiles more. I love her little smile. She's a very talkative baby, and she has started to make those little high-pitched happy noises. Those make me melt!


She's also started to sleep better for me. So far, she hasn't slept for more than 40 minutes at a time (except for yesterday, when she nearly slept for two hours in the afternoon!) and I figured that after a time, she would sleep better for me. And it seems like that time is coming.


(She sleeps touching her ears. It is so adorable.)

1 comment:

Becky said...

Awww! I love that baby - and you're right, she is a wiggle worm! Glad to hear things are going well.