Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Nanny Diaries...Stefanie Edition

I started my summer job this week.

My job for the rest of May, June, and most of July will be to nanny a four-month-old named Emma during the day while her mommy studies to take the Bar.


What I have learned so far is that babies are quite easy, but they so tiring. It's not hard to play with an infant. They just eat, poop, sleep, and want things. (And smile... awww, her smile is so adorable!)

The hardest part of the job so far (this is day 3, mind you) is reading her. I am not experienced enough with her (or with babies in general) to tell when they're hungry, tired, bored, whatever... because right now it all sounds the same: "Waaaah!"

Emma is a really good baby, as far as babies go. She eats a ton, though (and consequently throws up a lot too!) I feed her practically every hour and a half. And though her mother tells me that she naps well, so far she hasn't for me during the day. Apparently she sleeps like a rock through the night.

And speaking of sleeping, I put her in her crib about ten minutes ago and that is exactly what she is not doing right now. She's been fussy and rubbing her eyes for a while now, so I know that she is tired... but she is not falling asleep.

...Oh, now the baby's really crying. Have to go take care of that.

(20 minutes and half a bottle later... Emma is out like a light.)

Something that I was just thinking about while soothing Emma and helping her drift off is that despite the fact that before this week I thought I knew next to nothing about babies and their care, it's surprisingly easy. When she cries, I know how to soothe her, when she's sleepy, I know how to send her off into dreamland. When she isn't happy, I know how to make her smile. So much of it is instinctual and it amazes me to realize that I knew a lot of what is required to take care of a baby.

Well, one week down. I have a feeling I am going to learn a lot this summer.

No comments: