Friday, May 15, 2009

Housing Hunting

Today... oh, today I did something Grown Up.

I went with Abby (and my future roommate - Abby's boyfriend Nathan), we got ourselves a realtor (which, according to my internet, is spelled incorrectly if it has a lower-case 'r'), we drove downtown, and we looked at some (read: six) apartments that fit our budget and our spacial needs.

I don't like blogging about specifics before we make a decision (or saying which one we like best... because that's a bad rap on the ones that we didn't like... and I'm not mean like that!) but we did come up with a final two by the end of the day.

They're both in the same price range (which we set somewhere between $1400-2100 rent... preferably on the lower end so we can afford other things like, you know, electricity. And food.) and had our bedroom choices (2 bed/1 bath, 2 bed/2 bath, 3 bed/2 bath, whatever. As long as there was room for three people and a decent shower), and was close to campus and did not suck. (The sucking thing was easy enough to sort out.) We did have other things that we wanted, like a nice neighborhood, ceiling fans (this was a plus... but not necessary), and paid utilities, that kind of thing.

It felt like a very grown up thing to do, looking for a place to live. I'll be honest, it was nice to do it without my mother (who would have been a big help and a voice of reason but I think we felt like we needed to do the hunting and narrowing down by ourselves), but instead of having her there today we decided that tomorrow would be better to return to our top two places with her to have another look and to (perhaps) make a decision. We have spent the day talking and reviewing and figuring out what is best, what works, what doesn't and while I am ready to have a decision made, I understand the need to be cautious when you're investing money - especially in a place to live.

So, I am sure you will see more on that later! And in the fall you will most definitely see a montage of moving in.

No comments: