Monday, April 13, 2009

Muses and Pianos

So I'm back in San Antonio. I had a fabulous weekend with my family and I had a wonderful Easter day. Mom hid a bunch of eggs in our yard and had Dunc and I running all over the place. See her blog for pictures!

Even though I'm back at school, today was a very good day! My french class was canceled, and it didn't seem worth it to trek back to my apartment for forty minutes, so I sat in the Main Building and read a bit of the New York Times. There was another article about the changing tides of newspapers, and I honestly felt a bit guilty about having taken the paper for free. But the NYT puts free copies on our campus and so I will take advantage of that. In my English class I managed to sound intelligent even though I hadn't read what I was supposed to, and then in my Astronomy class, I received a review lecture on the Earth and the rock cycle. (Well, it was a review for me who has been learning this stuff in Geology all semester!) (...I thought I was in an Astronomy class... what's this about the Earth...)

My friend Oriana (who I went clubbing with a few weeks ago) sent me a text this afternoon and asked if I wanted to go to a piano concert with her tonight. I, being the piano enthusiast (pianthusiast?) that I am, agreed and looked forward to seeing whoever would perform. It turned out to be a Canadian woman, Angela Cheng, who was a very good performer and player. She was great! She played "Sonata in C major, L. 60" by Franz Joseph Haydn, "Piano Sonata No. 31 in A flat Major, Op. 110" by Ludwig van Beethoven, "Arabesque in C Major, Op. 18" by Robert Schumann, and "Fantasy in C Major, 'Wanderer' D. 760" by Franz Schubert. And two more that were not listed on the program. One of them was a Nocturne by Chopin, but I don't know which one it was. The concert made me miss my beloved piano at home. But I came home, and while my dinner was in the microwave I played a bit on my keyboard.

So this afternoon I picked up a book at our school bookstore that I just had to buy after thumbing through it for a few minutes. It's called Fondling Your Muse by John Warner. It's a hilarious book about advice to the "writerly aspirant". Just the dedication should give you a clue as to how the whole book reads:

"This book is dedicated to you, by which I mean me, myself. I say you because when I read it, I know that I'm talking about myself. I don't want you to think that it's dedicated to you, the reader, when I mean me, the writer. It would be silly to dedicate a book to someone like you, who had nothing to do with writing it- don't you think?"

I've only read thirty pages of it so far (It was what I did during my "nap") and have giggled my way through every page. I am really looking forward to reading more of it!

No comments: