Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Realization

So I've just realized something.

I have plans to knit scarves for like seven people for christmas. Seven! Do you have any idea how much time that'll take to make seven scarves? With my life? (Okay, okay. So I'm a student with a babysitting job for four hours a day and then a summer of my own, but I do have a life, I swear!) So on my list is a variety of people... (mostly between the ages of 17 and 87, if that narrows it down for any of yall ;) ) and I only have the materials for three of them right now.

Which is kind of why I'm starting now.

There's something about knitting a scarf, instead of knitting a hat or mittens or a little bag or, if you're really brave, a sweater. A scarf is knit with all the blood and tears of your life. Sure, a sweater is so much harder to a scarf, which is really just back and forth and back and forth and back and forth (repeat 80x) but that's my point. Knitting a scarf is a relationship that you work at with your every spare moment for an afternoon in front of a movie (if you're blessed with fast fingers) or (in my case) a month because you have homework to do and rehearsals to attend. Scarves are difficult because of the sheer monotony of it. I mean seriously. Who wants to do the same thing for like 12 hours straight?

So last year I gave scarves to three people, and this year it's seven. I think the best gift last year was to my gramma. It was a tricolored scarf (olive green, chocolate, and cream. Doesn't that make you hungry?) and it was a suede yarn that was simply delectable. AND... I cranked it out in like a week. -bows- I was sorry to see that one go, but I heard lavish complements coming from my gramma when she recieved it, and because she lives in the north, she really needs it more than anyone in Texas does.

So if you really want a scarf for christmas this year, place your order and I'll do my best.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

placing an order NOW!