Saturday, July 14, 2007

I really need someone to tie me down

I really do. I need someone to tie me down (with my right arm free, please) and MAKE. ME. WRITE.

As in, I am four chapters and an epilogue away from finishing a story and I can just taste the reward of finishing another multi-chapter story... but I have to work out a few kinks (Actually it's just one large and all encompassing kink...)

Point of this pointless blog is a plea for help. MAKE. ME. WRITE. Because basically I sit down with my computer and type in "Chapter 16 : "

And pause.

And think.

"Hmm... Is this the chapter where the character proposes or where they plot the murder of the lead female's father..." (Why yes, this is actually part of the plot.)

And then I think, "Wait, I need to figure out what the punishment at the female's trial is going to be! I don't know... Do you think elves use the death penalty?"

And so I go and research it on the internet. (In case it isn't clear, this is Lord of the Rings fanfiction that I'm writing.) And I find nothing. So I decide to do something else (check email, check myspace, play a little solitaire, end up closing the unsaved document and then realize it too late.)

So this is why I need someone to

MAKE

ME

WRITE.

I understand the whole concept of "the only way to make writers block go away is to just sit down and write through it." but I hate that method. Can't I just take a sledgehammer to it? That feels a WHOLE lot better.

1 comment:

Barb Matijevich said...

The Yarn Harlot says that she takes a hot bath when she has writer's block. She says she takes a LOT of baths.