Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I'm happy. And rap don't do dat.

So I have a tendency to obsess over things...

Exhibit A: Orlando Bloom
Exhibit B: Lord of the Rings (kind of sparked Exhibit A)
Exhibit C: Nancy Drew books (I read 121 of them)
Exhibit D: Harry Potter

(With the exception of A, notice how they're all books and/or not drugs, sex, or alcohol? Good on me!)

And that's all I'll go into detail about, but right now I'm listening to the Hairspray soundtrack obsessively. Constantly, actually. And when I'm not listening to it, it's running through my head. Something about this soundtrack just makes me want to buy a big can of hairspray, poof up my hair, and dance around. (Handjive anyone?)

But the real point is, it makes me happy.

But then I turn on the radio, and what do I hear? Rap songs about how someone really wants to bang some slut and who has too much money and who is overrated. I don't feel whole or good when I listen to what's on the radio. I feel like an object, demoralized and good for nothing but belonging on someone else's arm. When I feel like being worthless, I'll let you know.

Sure, not all music on the radio is rap or music like that, but such a large portion is that it is enough to bother me.

At dinner tonight, my mom, the college student who lives with us (Kerry-Lynn), and myself all had great big smiles on our faces. And halfway into the meal, my mom sheepishly admitted that she'd listened to the song Good Morning Baltimore the entire way to work. And then at work apparently it was all she talked about. I admitted to listening to the soundtrack all day, and so did Kerry-Lynn. We all love it, and it improved our day considerably.

Rap don't do dat.

Perhaps if people listening to happier music, we'd all become a little bit happier.

No comments: