Friday, June 22, 2007

The clearer picture

Every once and a while I realize something: I'm perfect the way I am.

I don't need to change to fit someone else's bill. I don't need to flaunt myself or my talents or push myself out of my own comfort boundaries to be recognized or to be loved. I am not perfect, but I am me. I don't think I could be anyone else, but often I think I forget my own self.

What reminded me all of this today was this overwhelming response to the spur-of-the-moment idea of mine to knit that baby blanket for the preemie baby boy. The lady I babysit for sent an email to my mom, who then forwarded it to my Gramma and my aunt, who phoned and emailed me to tell me how proud they are of me. And yet, all day I've just been chugging along, doing what I find is the obvious thing. Shouldn't it be obvious, that the most important thing is to show that you care? I've never met this tiny child, nor, I'm willing to bet, will I ever. But I think that this family, who obviously has a rough road ahead of them, needs to know that someone would respond for them and their child.

So I guess that today who I am really shown through. I just hope that people get a clearer picture of who I am than I have. I guess living life isn't just growing older. Living life is learning who you are.

No comments: