Sunday, November 29, 2009

NaNoWriMo Update #8 - THE WIN

So right now, I am floating on a ridiculously high cloud of AWESOME.


I always knew I had it in me, but I never knew it would feel so good! And I even finished a DAY EARLY!

Counts
Document
Words:
50139
Characters (no spaces):
208676
Characters (with spaces):
258845
Paragraphs:
1788
Sentences:
5224
Pages (approximate):
84

A few more stats before I progress onto the mindless gushing:

Words written: 50139
Total words warred: 20150
Average words written/day: 1626.48
Days skipped: 9
Days wrote over 4000 words: 4
Days wanted to go crazy: 29

-----

So, like, I can't come off of this high. It's so crazy! I posted on my twitter about a moment after I won, updated my facebook status, and then Ally called me and said she was kidnapping me and Karynna (who had won about fifteen minutes before me) out to ice cream to celebrate... and just wow.

I have a feeling that childbirth is something like this, (bear with me on this one): Beforehand, it's all "Soon I'll have something wonderful! Oh won't it be wonderful?" And then, in the middle of it all, it's like: "Gawd, what was I THINKING?! This is absolutely certifiably INSANE. Why would anyone DO THIS?! I just want it to be OVER!" and then when it's all over, you're all, "Oh, look what I just created! I want another one!"

(See? It makes at least a little sense!)

Because now, a mere hour and a half after it's finished, I understand why people keep coming back to nanowrimo year after year, why it is in its elventh year of existence:

It feels good at the end. Like, really good. And at the end of it, you're ridiculously numb in all sorts of places you usually aren't, and your ass hurts like crazy and you have irritated rashes where your arms have been bearing down on the desk for thirty days... and it's all worth it. ALL worth it.

I have literally never been so creative in my entire life. I have never, in such a short amount of time, created something so big! Sure, my first fanfiction piece Not Knowing was 57000 words, but that took me three years to complete! Three years! And I did this in thirty days?

I can't tell you how good it will feel to walk around tomorrow and have won this thing. I have a button that says "Ask me about my novel" that I'll be proudly displaying! I think I might explode into colored confetti or something. It doesn't matter that for the last six days of my life I have been practically glued to my keyboard (I am talking more than 25,000 words since last Tuesday.) It feels good. And you know what?

Next year, I'll be back full force. NaNoWriMo November 2010? Heck yes.

(Before then, however? Not a chance. I need an eleven month recovery period.)

No comments: