Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Books, books, books...

Okay, so I just realized something. Not exactly something profound, but it'll keep popping up at random moments until I get it down.

At random moments I will remember scenes from books that I've only read once. And don't care about at all. And then I have to go dig the book up again and reread it just to figure out what made me remember it in the first place. When I didn't even really like it all that much in the first place.

You'd think I would remember the books I loved. Like my favorite part in Return of the King when Sam, at the very end of the story after farewelling his best friend Frodo and Gandalf, the wizard whose fireworks he'd always loved, just pauses and says "Well, I'm back." I think that those words might just be the most profound I've ever read. He's just been to hell and back and lived a legend... but once everything calms down and returns to "normal", life goes on.

Or in one of my favorite books, The Key (by Marianne Curley) when the character offhandedly says after a meteor shower caused by two sibling immortals fighting "What did they do... play universe ping-pong?"

Or even in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone when Dumbledore looks into the Mirror of Erised and says that he can see himself holding a pair of hand-knit socks.

Those are the moments that I should remember at random moments during the day, that when they pop into my head make me smile or something.

Instead I get this:

I can see in my head the house (and it's driveway) where the character Darci (in Jude Devereaux's book Forever) figures out the key part of whatever mystery they're trying to solve. This house tends to pop into my head frequently.

I'll remember the character Circenn Brodie (in Karen Marie Moning's Highlander's Touch... Which isn't even my favorite of the series in any way, shape or form... it's kinda dull, actually) pacing in his secret study in his castle and thinking about his father.

I remember the pompous jerk of a character in one of the Jo Beverly books (can't remember which) who just bothers me because he won't see sense. At all. (grr.)

Or in The Giver when Jonas says to his teacher "I'm starving!" and his teacher retorts "No you are not. You are just hungry. You will never be starving." I mean, you'd think I'd remember something cool from that book, like when he first sees red, or when he gets his first memory (or however that works. I read it in eighth grade... I can't remember.)

They're good books and all, but usually they're those "one-timers" which you read and then give (back) to Half-Price books.

(I should reorganize my little book shelf...)

Okay, mind. If you've got any sense at all, please start thinking of good books.

No comments: