Saturday, November 8, 2008

An upcoming challenge

If you're wondering where I've disappeared to, the answer is that I've been sitting on my couch watching tv all today. It's just one of those lazy days, I suppose...

Brandlyn came down last night and we had a lot of fun walking around campus, drinking starbucks, and eating at the Roadrunner Cafe with Abby and Nathan. We hollowed out a pumpkin (I baked the seeds! Not as good as when mom does it, and I forgot to set the timer (Oops!) so some of them are a little overcooked, but I am well on my way to becoming an excellent pumpkin-seed-baker... I wonder if that counts as an accomplishment in life?) and made pumpkin bread, which I assure you is very yummy. We would have tackled a pumpkin pie... but seeing as I have never a) baked a pie or b) done anything but carve a pumpkin, we decied to reserve that for a later date.

-----

The last few days, I have had something occupying my mind. Y'all all know that I write and edit fanfiction as a longstanding hobby. It's what really got me realizing how much I really enjoy both writing and editing and it has fueled my creative tendencies throughout highschool. One of the coolest things that has come out of it has been the realization that I can turn editing, my hobby, into a career that I might actually enjoy AND profit from.

So anyway. Fanfiction. Been doing it for five and a half years, and I almost think that recently it's been more of a habitual thing than anything. I wrote my first story, called Not Knowing, and it took me 3 years to write it and it's a good story (And a source of pride to me, as it is my most popular to date. With 50,000 hits and nearly 300 this month alone, I would say that it's still alive and still read), but I have definately progressed and improved since I started and finished that story... a lot. Every time I read through it, I enjoy the rise and fall of the story, but every time I see places where "I could have phrased that better" and "Gosh... did I write this?" I think that if I were to write it all over again, I probably wouldn't... just because my tastes and talents have changed since then.

Anyway, so for the last three months I've been brainstorming, plotting, and writing its sequel, called Never Realizing. It's good, I'm proud of it, I cannot believe that I cranked out 14 chapters in less than a month and a half. It's cool... only problem is, it's fluff. It's a fluffy little sequel that, while it is well-written and actually really funny, is still fluff. No serious plot twists or drama, just a fourteen-chapter writing exercise in character development, really.

So while I've been writing this story, I've been itching to write something that is truly a challenge within the genre. So the other day, Siobhan and I had a bit of a brainstorm session... and came up with something quite brilliant that I am so excited to start researching and writing.

A crossover of Alice in Wonderland and Lord of the Rings.

I don't mean sticking the Mad Hatter, Tweedle-Dee, and Tweedle-Dum into Middle Earth in with the nine walkers... I mean taking Tolkien's characters and molding and manipulating them into the characters created by Lewis Carrol and then finding places where the stories can be connected. It'll be a challange, I know I'll get stuck a lot and probably toss out nearly-finished chapters pretty frequently... but I am so excited to have the prospect of something that will really make me feel accomplished for the first time in a good while. I think it might make me feel like it's not 'soft-core' writing anymore.

Finally, a challenge.

-----

As an aside, I have these habits of consistently spelling certain words wrong, and "Challenge" just happens to be one of them. I will admit I spelled it wrong every time while writing this blog.

No comments: